Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offshore Spot Thieving useless fishermen

Offshore Spot Thieving useless fishermen

I've Efin had enough of spot thieving useless fishermen who love the taste of tin sardines. I put time in searching for hours wasting fuel looking for offshore isolated spots, and these thieves appear like a fart and anchor 50 metres away from me. Every good fisherman has good spots and they are all like a supermarket, you shop around so you don't give a single spot a hiding. Any decent human being doesn't poach other people. Useless people with crap electronics and blunt hooks getting fish from thieving. I want to throw sinkers at the thieves and sink their boat. What has anyone done to get rid of vermin taking free fish??

Re: Offshore Spot Thieving useless fishermen

Wow, you are upset aren't ya, at the end of the day there isn't much you can do, it happens to everyone, with radar you could get your spot stolen without even knowing, and with the amount of cameras around you could get in serious trouble for doing anything to someone who did some spot stealing, frustrating but.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I don't fish on weekends if I can help it. Having said that it's only happened to me two or three times in the last 15 years that's including weekends.

Do what I do, if its that good of a spot drive away and come back later!

Its not like they appear out of thin air, where there is treasure there will always be pirates unfortunately!

Goes with the territory..

I did a Bream fishing charter when in Tassie. Georges Bay is a bit of a Bream hotspot and the fella running charter was a well know Bream guru. People would wait at the ramp and follow him out. When we pulled up and 4 other boats pulled up and positioned in our vicinity my dad said "this would have to give you the sh!ts to which he replied "people wanna catch fish" He didn't care and it was his livelihood they were intruding upon.

Also bare in mind, they may already have the mark. I have a spot we have fished in the deep water for years that we guarded like gold for a lot of years - any time we saw another boat we would drive off. I hadn't fished it for a couple of years and last time I drove out there, there was already a boat on it. To him, it would have appeared as though I had "poached" this spot for sure but this was definitely not the case

How true scottar. it's a big ocean out there but to think your the only person with that mark you are dreaming.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Personally I couldn't give a rats if a boat fished near me offshore especially if I'm a decent distance from shore. Gives me piece of mind in my little Prowler and enjoy the company and maybe a bit of banter.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't take it that serious.
    It's one thing to poach a mark but you still have to catch a fish.

Bloody big ocean with plenty of room for everyone in my opinion.

Agreed, you could give a lot of people your most reliable Spot X, they probably still wouldn't catch much.

Prowl n Wolf great attitude, I think I might have to take a leaf. Normally I'm not real happy but I think you are right. One thing hard to cop though is when they come flying in ping your mark give you a smirk and drive off again, had that happen a few times. Must have had my head down for too long as i didn't see them coming. One more thing that has got me boiling is when they show up and do your exact drift.. grrr... But I should chill and accept that they are just out to get a feed as well.

Pull up on a barren spot, have some old fish or any thing that looks like a fish, when they turn up make out you are reeling in heaps, then sneak away to your spot.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

[QUOTE=Almako;1594458] One thing hard to cop though is when they come flying in ping your mark give you a smirk and drive off again, had that happen a few times. QUOTE]

This reminds me of a few times when I've been headed out to the shelf and there have been boats anchored up directly on my course. A couple of times I've had to change course to miss them. They probably thought I was pinging them but I was just passing them on my way out. No matter where you are, you can bet it's all been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Also bare in mind, they may already have the mark. I have a spot we have fished in the deep water for years that we guarded like gold for a lot of years - any time we saw another boat we would drive off. I hadn't fished it for a couple of years and last time I drove out there, there was already a boat on it. To him, it would have appeared as though I had "poached" this spot for sure but this was definitely not the case
    I agree Scott,
    Someone could be seen as poaching but may already have the mark,i often head out to my mark and as I get closer there maybe a boat fishing close to it.
    Guess I could be seen as a poacher,far from it though as I have enough ground.
    I have fished a mark 50m away from someone that thought I may of been stealing there secret spot.
    That deep water mark you may of fished with Jim and Bill??

Yep - bit presumptuous to think you are the only person who has found a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by outwide1 View Post
    That deep water mark you may of fished with Jim and Bill??
    Aye. That be the one. Unfortunately, as rumour has it at least, it eventually made it's way into commercial line fishing circles and has been hit hard - not to mention more and more amateur pressure as well. In the early years it always fired but we still only fished it a few times a year. The last couple of times there was difficult to pull a fish and not a pearly to be seen. I know the history of this mark and the amount of time and fuel that went into finding it as well as the amount of effort that went into keeping it on the quiet. Given that it really is a needle in a haystack to find it - there is no such thing as a secret spot anymore - indeed I think someone on here posted a sounder image of it a while back.