Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric reels, which one to buy ?

Electric reels, which one to buy ?

I'm looking at purchasing an electric reel and not sure which to buy, I'm tossing up between the Daiwa MT 1000, Shimano beastmaster 9000 or a Miya Epoch. I love Shimano reels so I am leaning towards the beastmaster but wondering if the mega twinn is as good or if the Epoch is much better than both ? would love some feedback from those who have some of these and what you think of them.
    Many thanks in advance.

Oh and I will be mainly using it for perlies/snapper around the 90-180m and want to start deep dropping for Bar cod, Flame snapper and even trying to find some gemfish.
    Cheers
    Shane Podmore
    0407 696 949
    shane@ssinductions.com.au
    http://www.ssinductions.com.au

Life's too short to fish from the bank and you can't take money with you when you die so buy a boat stupid

Re: Electric reels, which one to buy ?

The Miya Epoch will beat either of the other two hands down, forget the Shimano loyalty thing.

Not a loyalty thing NoelM more a quality thing and there gear non powered reels are the best so that was why I was leaning that way. but although the Epoch looks as attractive as a webster twin fisher or Caitlyn Jenner, it does look more industrial and powerful.
    Cheers
    Shane Podmore
    0407 696 949

Life's too short to fish from the bank and you can't take money with you when you die so buy a boat stupid

Hey Shane,
    I have both the Shimano Beastmaster but 4000 version & Diawa Megatwin.
    The Beastmaster only holds approx. 410 meters x 80lb braid, single speed with good retrieval speed about 160 meters / minute.
    The Megatwin holds 1000 meters x 80lbs, 2 speed with auto kick down to low speed with high prolonged loads & also good retrieval speed about 180 meters / minute.
    Both work great, pulled in 2.5meter sharks, 20 plus kg AJ's, had a marlin on etc and haven't missed a beat.
    Another mate has the Miya Epoch, more commercial, 1000 meters x 80lb but slower retrieval speed about 120 meters / minute.
    My opinion (that suit my type of fishing), the Shimano / Diawa are great for depths up to 300 meters.
    The Miya Epoch for 300 meters plus.
    All are good reels and only you can make that choice buddy

Shane I have a couple of Megatwins,I bought them with the sole intention of what you want to do..2 weeks ago I pulled an 18kg bar cod & an 8kg barrie at once also with 6kg's of lead on,out of 300m's no problem.I went with the Megatwin's as Banana & Moejoes recommended them.Moejoe's even pulls trout in 15m of water with his...lol

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    Shane I have a couple of Megatwins,I bought them with the sole intention of what you want to do..2 weeks ago I pulled an 18kg bar cod & an 8kg barrie at once also with 6kg's of lead on,out of 300m's no problem.I went with the Megatwin's as Banana & Moejoes recommended them.Moejoe's even pulls trout in 15m of water with his...lol

Hahhahahaha, Don't leak that info

Gee that's surprising about the two speeds on the mega twin, what I mean is I borrowed a mates tanacom and tanacom bull on the last trip to 1770 and used the bull a few times. When I used it I fell in love with this electric fishing thing but I liked how the retrieve speed was variable, if the tanacom's are variable why is the mega twin not ?
    Cheers
    Shane Podmore
    0407 696 949

It is mate

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Hey Shane,
    I have both the Shimano Beastmaster but 4000 version & Diawa Megatwin.
    The Beastmaster only holds approx. 410 meters x 80lb braid, single speed with good retrieval speed about 160 meters / minute.
    The Megatwin holds 1000 meters x 80lbs, 2 speed with auto kick down to low speed with high prolonged loads & also good retrieval speed about 180 meters / minute.
    Both work great, pulled in 2.5meter sharks, 20 plus kg AJ's, had a marlin on etc and haven't missed a beat.
    Another mate has the Miya Epoch, more commercial, 1000 meters x 80lb but slower retrieval speed about 120 meters / minute.
    My opinion (that suit my type of fishing), the Shimano / Diawa are great for depths up to 300 meters.
    The Miya Epoch for 300 meters plus.
    All are good reels and only you can make that choice buddy
    The Beastmaster 9000 holds 900m of PE8 and 650m of PE10
    Cheers
    Shane Podmore
    0407 696 949

It is mate
    cool, just moejoes through me off saying they are twin speed and the Beastmaster is single speed but I am thinking he is maybe talking about when the lever is pushed all the way up ?
    Cheers
    Shane Podmore
    0407 696 949

Quote Originally Posted by Gr0wler View Post
    cool, just moejoes through me off saying they are twin speed and the Beastmaster is single speed but I am thinking he is maybe talking about when the lever is pushed all the way up ?
    Sorry Shane, the Shimano & Megatwin are variable speed. Can't remember about the Miya tho. Sure it is.
    Just the Megatwin has low & high speed gear ratios.
    Those retrieval rates I mentioned are flat out...

Quote Originally Posted by Gr0wler View Post
    The Beastmaster 9000 holds 900m of PE8 and 650m of PE10
    I bought my Beastmaster 4000 direct from Japan had a problem with it first trip, sent it back at my cost & they replaced it straight away.
    Ended up paying the same as here by the time it got replaced & probably wouldn't do it again because of that.
    Wish I bought the 9000 model at the time as back then it was only $100 more expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    I bought my Beastmaster 4000 direct from Japan had a problem with it first trip, sent it back at my cost & they replaced it straight away.
    Ended up paying the same as here by the time it got replaced & probably wouldn't do it again because of that.
    Wish I bought the 9000 model at the time as back then it was only $100 more expensive...
    You tight ass Bobby

I would prefer a Megatwin or Beastmaster for a couple of reasons and would prefer the shimano of those two but I can get a megatwin for around $1250 shipped to my door from bundy so it would be a little cheaper and not an "import" so to speak.
    Cheers
    Shane Podmore
    0407 696 949

You tight ass Bobby
    I know ( Get told that all the time )
    But at the time I didn't think I'd be doing what I'm doing and plus it was my very first electric reel purchased.
    So I suppose I was in Shane's position he is in now back then
    I'd probably purchase another Mega twin again but will go a Miya Epoch as I want to go fish the trench where the Titanic is