Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Echomap 95sv

Re: Garmin Echomap 95sv

I am bit confused using sidescan on this unit.
    It works great in very shallow water. Under 5mts screen is very bright and I can scan both left and right directions fully.
    On deeper water however of 15mts, returns on the screen is very dark, hard to identify anything.
    Also I found that I cant scan port side of the boat at this depth as outboard seems to be affecting the signal angle?
    There is line on halfway of the port side of the screen and return is all the same flat afterwards, but if I trim up the outboard this issue is solved.

The angle of scan changes depending on the water depth?
    Is this normal?
    Ducer is well in the water, will get a pic

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydragon View Post
    Hi mate,

Just wonder the sonar quality as I am aware of this unit Garmin 95SV is a non Chirp Sonar. However it has HD-ID. Not sure the quality of this HD-ID sonar is better than standard sonar or close it chirp sonar?

Cheers
    Not experienced enough to give a definitive answer I'm sorry....but the Garmin rep who fitted mine did explain something about the chirp sonar specs....a bit technical for me but I think by memory the gist of it was that you need to be very careful about chirp sonar claims as different brands quote different data which can vary in real life terms .....a bit of a minefield.
    All I can suggest is to do lots of research on the net and ask opinions from the pro's.
    Sorry...but I hope that helps ?

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Archer63 View Post
    Not experienced enough to give a definitive answer I'm sorry....but the Garmin rep who fitted mine did explain something about the chirp sonar specs....a bit technical for me but I think by memory the gist of it was that you need to be very careful about chirp sonar claims as different brands quote different data which can vary in real life terms .....a bit of a minefield.
    All I can suggest is to do lots of research on the net and ask opinions from the pro's.
    Sorry...but I hope that helps ?

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks Rob,

Its good if you have screenshots on the sonar.

Cheers

Hi Rob,

What is the deepest depth where you've been able to use sidevu? I'm looking to scan around 50m-70m depth, my old 'bird does about 40m max.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archer63 View Post
    I've had mine for a few months now and I am very happy with it. Also got mine at $1485....but that was when a special was on and that window wasn't open for very long. Lucky for me, a mate of mine who works in one of those big stores was able to honour the special price...because by the time I was ready to buy a few weeks later...the price had gone back up to $1540.
    I'm a bit like Darren Mc... haven't yet explored all it's capabilities yet & I also use mine in relatively shallow water under 20m.
    But gee whiz that big screen is great and even the standard map is so much better than the unit I had before (HDS-5M) it's like seeing things for the first time.

Be aware that those big transducers do throw up a bit of spray....Garmin have since released a spray guard for $25.00...or you can try putting some tape & a piece of pool noodle etc around the bracket to stop most of the roosters tail.

Thought I might also have an issue with my SE 300 foil touching the transducer that I sometimes have on, but these fears proved to be unfounded and was nowhere near it.
    But not all boats are set up the same and perhaps this is something to think about ?

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    id love to do some on water demo videos. its just so dam cold here in melbourne atm
    for what its worth there is a handsome fellow selling them to ausfish members for $1430 complete
    Any idea roughly how deep you've have the 95sv sidevu mate? Thanks.

Just a quick note. I have the Garmin 75DV and I was out fishing on Friday in 275m and the unit had no trouble picking up the bottom and showing fish.