Thread: Thinking of a kayak - which one for beginner?

Thinking of a kayak - which one for beginner?

Hi all,

I am a land based fisher, but have been looking at changing, so have been reviewing various threads on "which kayak" and there are many and varied opinions. My query is 3m or 4m - which is best allrounder and easiest to paddle? Also opinion on which is better 4m yak and/or better value? Will be mainly doing canals, inner bay, river and Pumicestone Passage.

http://www.mantrakayaks.com.au/produ...kayaks-mana-1/
    OR
    http://www.dragonkayak.com.au/4m-hun...red-black.html

I would expect these are not a premium yak compared with a Viking like this, http://www.fishingkayak.com.au/index...emart&Itemid=8

but for someone just starting out I would appreciate some pointers on value please.

thanks

Re: Thinking of a kayak - which one for beginner?

The mantra looks pretty good by the specs/width/weight.

small kayaks are fairly weight critical. If you are a smaller guy they will go ok. Bigger guys on smaller boats tend to struggle. The boats you are looking at are smaller boats.
    sub $1k I'd be looking for second hand ocean kayaks etc at the 4.2m plus for any sort of half decent paddling plastic boat.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Blog Entries

Similar thoughts to GBC. By the sounds of it you want an allrounder, I would be looking for something around 4 to 4.3 M if you want passage and a bit of bay work. If you are more skinny water perhaps look at something shorter. I have a perception swing (4m). It is perfect for fishing in the passage and a bit of offshore in the right conditions.

Depending on your budget I would go second hand. Look to pick up a swing, prowler, Viking or similar set up for fishing that is around 4meters long

TRust me, kayak fishing is an awesome way to fish and opens up a whole new world of opportunities.

Mate the first two will suit you well. Either will do the job, both fairly similar.

you are on the right track.

The he longer the kayak will give you better glide and will require less effort.

For or what you want the 12 -13 foot mark is where you need to be.

unfortunately, really no one kayak will do everything and most guys that are really serious in the sport will have at least two different kayaks
    Cheers

Steven

Thanks guys for the input. I will keep an eye out for a good 2nd hand one in the 3.5 - 4 m range.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gragra View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. I will keep an eye out for a good 2nd hand one in the 3.5 - 4 m range.
    Where are you based?

Best bet is to head over to the kfdu.com.au forum and check out the classifieds. You may pickup a nice 2nd hand kayak that is 10x better then the ones you have picked.
    Also I would recommend asking the people on that forum compared to this one as kfdu is dedicated to kayak fishing in australia.

I got a Hobie revolution 13 which I've modded with custom outriggers and a sail with a garmin gpsmap 551s sounder and a light so I can go night fishing.
    Thinking of buying another one in the next few weeks - a Stealth Evo 430 or supalight.

With kayaks it comes down to budget and what are you wanting to fish in.
    Say for those 2 kayaks they are fine but only really good for calm to light swell. I've heard stories from kayakers about the cheap kayaks like dragon and mantra of
    guys thinking they can go out in the big stuff or out into the bay and a big swell hits and the kayaks snap in half..Yep you heard it snap in half...

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Where are you based?
    I am in Brisbane - profile now updated. I am away on hols for 2 weeks from tomorrow, and will only have intermittent internet access.

Thanks again for the helpful responses.
    Cheers
    Graham
    Brisbane Qld

Buy 2nd hand, ready kitted with sounder and rod holders......why pay premium price then add all the exy crap as well?
    Look for 4m to 4.5m if you are going to do bay work, look for 78-84 cm wide for stability and look for a weight of around 22-30kg bare hull. Plenty fit those criteria on the market......Perception Swing is a great all rounder.
    Jack.

I posed the same question and finished up with an Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.1. Very happy so far. Quality second hand is the way to go.