Thread: Boat taking on water somewhere

Boat taking on water somewhere

Hi I have a Quintrex Freedom Sport 490 with a 90 ETEC. When I pulled the boat out on the weekend and removed the bungs I got like a full bucket of water from the boat; after 4 hours. The weather was flat so there was very little water coming over the bow.

When I inspected the bungs one of the o-rings was split. My question is would this be the source or do I have another leak.

Also there seems to be some kind of ball value on the hull, not sure how this operates.

thanks in advance.

Re: Boat taking on water somewhere

split oring is going to cause water to come in, but how fast who knows. What is this ball valve you are speaking of? A photo would be handy.
    Cheers, Zane.

I reckon the busted o-ring would have a lot to do with it. Try that first. Easy and cheap.
    Darren

It is very surprising how even the tiniest hole can let a large quantity of water in fairly quickly. I had a pinhole in a previously owned tinny that in as little as two hours had a 4.5 metre rig full to the floor. I also suspect your culprit is the Oring. The ball valve is most likely an isolation valve for a bait pump or wash down pump pickup if you have either one of those but a pic would be useful.

Suggest put old bung back in, while boat on trailer, fill hull with hose (don't flood boat) and see where water is coming out = water going in
    Cheers,
    Chong

Agree with Chong. Had Similar, problem solved with new Bungs, kept the old as emergency spares.

Yep had the same problem but in a fibreglass glass. Oring on bung had perished and boat had significant water in her back at ramp. I now keep a spare in the glove box and check the one in the boat every time

Thanks for the advice. I'm away from the boat atm so the best picture I could find is this, on mine I have one one of those black "telwater" valves; below the stairs? I can feel a ball inside that has some freedom to move, so I assume it is working correctly, or that is a large hole for water also to get in.
    ---------
    Upon further reading I think its called a scupper valve, and I think it could be the culprit.

"Scupper valves that sit at or below the waterline can cause a reverse flooding if the valve is defective or clogged."

Btw I dont have a bait tank

Attachment 109957

Firstly, if you have a broken oring on a bung, replace it. Especially if the water filling phenomenon is a change from the norm, then something has changed and a bung oring splitting could be that change.

Having said that, many years ago I had a 500 freedomsport that did the same thing. Given they are a little boat to have a self-draining deck, quite often if you are spending time down the back of the boat the scuppers would frequently submerge allowing back-flooding of the deck as they don't totally seal. As the deck is not actually a sealed wet-deck the water just drained away past the timber floor into the bilge - not sure why you would put scuppers in a boat with such a low floor but there you go. Next time it happens check the rear floor to see if it's wet. I ended up running sika all around the floor edge to allow the water to drain back out the scuppers rather than into the bilge. Also need to keep the scuppers clean/free - make sure dropped tackle/bait/foreign object etc is not holding it open or blocking the ball seat.

Otherwise it could be the Etec allowing water into the bilge, I don't trust them things.

Cheers and and good luck.

Craig

Just coming back to thread, having taking apart my scupper values has shown that one had debris that restricted it closing. So that is the most likely culprit.

One thing I found strange is both (telwater) designs use a squash ball as the seal. Anybody heard of this?

You just found this two years later? And I think you mean valve, not value?

Quote Originally Posted by zzkazu View Post
    Just coming back to thread, having taking apart my scupper values has shown that one had debris that restricted it closing. So that is the most likely culprit.

One thing I found strange is both (telwater) designs use a squash ball as the seal. Anybody heard of this?
    Certainlyseen ping-pong balls used so I guess squashballs would be OK too but bit heavyperhaps?

Yes two years later, been putting up with the water ingest. Wasn't quite sure if it was a design issue to help with ballast.

meant valve.

Ok - interesting.