Thread: Mud snapper

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Mud snapper

Had a call from fellow ausfish member Mark "Rufus" yesterday who invited me out for an early morking flick at Mud Is today using my jigheads and zman curltails.

Arrived at our usual spot about 6.45am but no strikes after countless drifts for 1hour 30 minutes. Moved to another location which has yielded snapper in the past and first throw I'm on to a good fish. It got smaller as it approached the boat and netted a 48cm snapp. Next drift Mark has a good run and netts a 49cm snapper. Thinking what a good morning we are going to bag out. Next drift I get smoked but the snapper busted me off. Inspection of my leader revealed a frayed line so we think that the snapper engulfed the plastic and the leader must have rubbed on the teeth. The next three drifts yielded 3 flathead (one just under 40cm) and a small squire which was returned.

Not long after this Marks' reel starts screaming so we started the motor and followed the fish got over it but when mark tried to raise it it busted the leader which was also frayed.
    Shortly after this my reel screams off and I'm thinking f**k me follow the bugger Mark which he does. When we were over the fish I played him for 5 minutes and he started to come up. It looked like a 70+cm snapp but as it rose in the water f++k me a slate bream which went 72cm bastardddd. Let him go to torment another angler.

We called it quits about 12 noon.

Cheers
    Barry
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0831.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	109809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0834.jpeg 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	109808  

Re: Mud snapper

Was that you in the white bowrider ? I was in the blue poly.

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Yes mate that was us. How did you go?

Cheers
    Barry

Got one cod over at that second spot. When I moved back to the first spot first cast got smashed, lost a good snapper, easily 70+, boat side as I was about to net it.Other than that nothing else.

Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150706_001.jpg 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	109811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cod.jpg 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	109810  

Sweet Barry. I find your heads good on flatties.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Well done Bazza

Just a quick mud report for those who might be thinking of heading out, I got to mud around 5 am this morning, dropped 2 pots just off the northside then headed around the jays reef marker to flick for snapper, mine was the only boat on northside today ( which should have told me something), anyway I put the leccy down to sneak around silently and in 3 hours of casting I didn't get a single touch, not even a grinner, that makes 3 trips in a row to mud for me like this, gee that place is way harder than 10 years ago, also I dropped the pots around 80 metres off the shore out from white sign in 15 feet of water, each pot was heavy thick wire and had 30 feet of rope with a round white float with Albany creek address on it but do you think I could find them?, there was bugger all current and the pots were heavy anyway but they were not there, if anybody s out there in the next few days and you come across them send me a message please...