Thread: More Brisbane river Jew!

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

More Brisbane river Jew!

Headed out last night to the river again in search of Jews. Managed to land an 89cm model at 6.8kg and a 106cm at 8.5kg which is my new pb. Also managed a 46cm snapper as by catch.
    The Jew from last Tuesday had a gut full of herrings and the 106cm also had its guts stuffed full of herring. The 89cm fish on the other hand the remains of 2 mantis shrimp.

Interesting to see that the 89cm Jew was 0.6kg heavier than the 91cm fish.

Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	109756  

Re: More Brisbane river Jew!

nice work! we where out towards the mouth of the river last nite trying for one of these beasts but only got a few flatties, who had eyes bigger then there mouths! what section of the river where you in?

Just besides the wharf where I got them.

Mate good going.
    I always check the guts to see what their been eating and have also found Mantis shrimp in the ones ive got in the seaway.

Good job and good to see the river is full of life

A top effort that Jackson. A mate talked me into heading out there after catching some prime arrow squid on the same night. We froze our freaken asses off all night for naught. Although we did not sound around at all and just set up camp in one spot putting all our eggs in one basket. One of the coldest nights i have ever spent on a boat with that westerly blowing!
    Ben

Yea the river has been fishing well lately, I left them biting that night, after I got those 2 I dropped another one. Didn't want to get another and have it swallow the hooks or something and not be ok for release so packed up and called it an early night.

I have been getting some good tiger squid lately as well.

nice work jackson ....i went for the triple ...3 friday nights in a row with a jew over a meter but lucked out with some tailor ....well i didnt stay real late because it was so cold lol ....cut up the 1m one from last weekend for a party at home saturday night ...cut it into small pieces...beer batter recipe from the boss which was just flour egg beer salt pepper but thin and have it soak for a couple of hours in the fridge then really hot oil ...mate everyone smashed them ...it made about 7 or 8 plates full i couldnt even get a piece because as soon as i took them out they were gone ...

using Live bait? I swear its a myth, the old river Jew!

Threw the boat in for a quickie after work this arvo and found their location. Pulled a trio on vibes before leaving them alone. ben

They must be thick hey blooey, so many hanging around and chewing their heads off which is great.
    I get most on live bait, but occasionally they will take a fresh dead bait over a live one.