Thread: Central Coast NSW offshore fishing help / tips / ideas / suggestions!

Central Coast NSW offshore fishing help / tips / ideas / suggestions!

Hi guys,

I’m reasonably new to offshore fishing and have always struggled to find the fish when traveling out into the deep blue.

I have recently purchased a new boat in the hopes of finding the fish and spending many weekends hunting for that fish of a life time.

In my last boat (which I sold around 3 years ago to finance our house) I literally just got GPS marks out of the books that BCF sells and put them into my GPS unit and would try those spots.

Typically I could see reef or shallower water but never got any great colour reads on my sounder and never caught anything to brag about, mainly lots of small reef fish.

My only really successful outings were following schools of kingfish, salmon and bonito etc. around and trolling divers through them and chucking poppers etc.

I live on the Central Coast of NSW and have ventured off Broken Bay and out from Terrigal many times. I’ve even followed the charter boats out to the perch grounds before but again no real luck.

I know my question many leave some of you shaking your heads but I honestly don’t know what the answer is. Are my marks bad? Am I just bad at sounding? Could my sounder / transducer not be suited?

I even in high hopes of meeting some extremely seasoned fishos went along to some fishing club meetings looking at joining but the average age of the members was around 50ish and most were quite ruff and very keep to themselves trady times.

What do you suggest guys and girls? Is it rude / against the rules to ask others for marks they suggest trying? I am open to any and everything to help improve…

Regards

Travis

Re: Central Coast NSW offshore fishing help / tips / ideas / suggestions!

Hey not an area i fish in and you are not really clear what you are trying to catch but some thoughts...
    use lighter gear (leader and line)
    use fresh bait
    make freinds with your local tackle store, aleays shop there and ask for help
    rather than relying on marks i spend a lot of time looking at contours on maps looking for signs of bommies, kinks in the contours that could through eddies. Then learn the currents and tides in you area.
    try using the sounder to find reef and good bottom for fish if you are fishing on the bottom.

if give more info on what you want to catch easier to help

Re: Central Coast NSW offshore fishing help / tips / ideas / suggestions!

It also helps to have a sounder and transducer ideal for the depth. What sounder do you have ?
    happy days ahead summer is coming