Thread: Offshore Gold Coast 28/6/15

Offshore Gold Coast 28/6/15

Ended up braving the break in the weather today and headed for the 50 fathom line as I've heard some good reports from Fish the Deep charters. We almost made it but the wind chop and swell was just too rough. As the wind was picking up we decided to fish the 80m mark rather than travelling further out and then slowly make our way back in one reef at a time. We couldn't find much structure as the up and down of the chop and swell made the bottom look like pinnacles everywhere.
    We found a lot of bait in 50m of water and again in 40m of water but no predators. Jigged up some slimies and yakkas to see what was down there. The 2 of us fishing ended up with 6 flathead and 2 parrot.
    Was a very sloppy day but we managed a couple of feeds and saw a whale, Dolphins and some flying fish. Sure beat mowing the yard.

Bait is better.

Re: Offshore Gold Coast 28/6/15

Anyone know what these are??

Bait is better.

Yes there is a load of bait around and some nice tuskies on the 36's.
    Went out with FTD last Thursday and Scott and AJ worked hard all day. The main Kingie marks on the 50's were being relentlessly ploughed by boat after boat and so we went elsewhere and found some nice Amberjack on the 50's and a mixed bag up North on the 36's.
    Nice to see their Facebook report today that some bigger snapper have arrived so I will be out with them again after school holidays are over, if I can wait that long.
    Peter

What depth did you get flatty's differant sort of bag mate
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Those 2 fish are a Bigeye and a Bar Cod

The Flathead came from 50m and 40m. Not the usual offshore bag but if those conditions we took what we could.
    thanks for the ID's. We caught 2 bar cod in 50m of water. I thought that's what they were but didn't think they'd be in close as the deep droppers get the out wide.

The flatties are not unusual off the coast. Some days we have got a bag of 15 for 3 on board in a couple of hours if you find a patch of them. Even got a couple at the Cathedrals last time we were there. Blue spots are good chewing - they never get thrown back if they are a good size on our trips

Looking at your pic again,it may very well be an eight bar grouper, virtually identical to a bar cod except for 1 or 2 extra bars.
    Either way, they are a great capture that shallow and exceptional eating.