Thread: Quintrex 490 legend. Stability problems

Quintrex 490 legend. Stability problems

Recently bought a brand new Quintrex 490 legend centre console after owning a late 90's 488 Seabreeze for years. Thought it was time to upgrade to new and feel more comfortable (and safe) on those trips out the front.

so far I'm very disappointed. Very bad lateral stability, particular traveling. To keep the hull flat I need to stand on on the far right of the boat. Recently had the boat almost tipped with a side chop that would have just been metre. My old sea breeze was solid as a rock. This new centre console not at all.

i suspect the hull may have been meant for a side console and they've put in a centre. Just wondering if any one else has seen similar problems with the 490 legend, or with the new blade hull.

thanks..

Re: Quintrex 490 legend. Stability problems

Sounds like the hull is not fit for purpose acronin.

If you have only just bought it perhaps you should be talking to the dealer who sold you an unsafe item. Consumer affairs etc does not like such things either.

It will be of interest to see how this ends

Cheers
    Chimo

Is it only a problem whilst travelling? If so, sounds like it could be prop torque. You can adjust the trim tab on your outboard to help rectify this.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Has got its first service coming up so will definitely be bringing it up to the dealer.

Had suspected prop torque as occurs whilst travelling. Also have heard it might be up thrust from the sounder sensor which is installed on the right side of the transom. Lastly, I haven't lifted the floorboards to check if the petrol tank is situated on one side of the hull (worried I might void a warranty if I do).

I would be very surprised if the fuel tank was on the side no matter whether its a side console or centre console.
    Darren

Acronin, although prop torque can cause some boats to list to port slightly, not to the extent you are saying. It won't cause a boat to tip either.

I assume you have not fitted a foil? Does trimming the motor in or out reduce the list, or the bad behaviour?

There sounds like there is a problem with your hull.

Call the dealer and raise your concerns. Tell them that at the 20 hr service you want it fixed by the factory. Take notes of the conversation. Tell them the facts as you mentioned, i.e. as follows...

Quote Originally Posted by acronin View Post
    To keep the hull flat I need to stand on on the far right of the boat....
    ...Recently had the boat almost tipped with a side chop that would have just been metre....
    ...My old sea breeze was solid as a rock. This new centre console not at all...
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have dual batteries and or live bait tank fitted to the port side by any chance do you?

You got a bimini?
    nil carborundum illegitimi

@Shagga, I do have a live bait tank on the port side. This would be about 20L though so would only contribute 20kg of unbalanced weight. I have only one battery and its centrally located.

@GBC I have a bimini, but I leave it down when travelling so wouldn't have been this.

@gofishin. Some good advice. I'll do this when I catch up with the dealer for its first service.

Thanks

Hello acronin,

inspect the hull for unusual hollows or bulges, these can cause such behaviour.
    To check for prop torque, when planing rapidly throttle back, the boat will slow very quickly but does it correct the list when there is no prop torque.
    If you think it might be the sounder transponder, temporarily fold it up out the water (if possible).
    I recommend that you really press this issue with the dealer and not allow it to drag on.

Well its been 5 years and an old Aussfish account ago snce I posted this request. Still have the 490 legend and embarrassingly realised that it was a simple trimming problem. Once trimed out to the conditions the boat strightened up great. Hitting into a 15 kniot breeze across the bow has its moments, but still well and truly maneagable. Thanks everyone for your help on this. Turned out to be a great bay and close-in reef boat. Might have to finally give in to putting an electric with spot lock on it I think....

Two things I can think of having owned a Quintrex CC ....... Is the motor mounted too high ? . (does it porpoise ?) Do you blow the motor out when doing high speed maneuver

How heavily laden is the boat ? ....... A pressed alloy CC is very light - it needs weight .

I ended up fitting a foil to mine ...... big improvement .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Chris.
    No doesn't porpoise at all. Goes pretty well now though always keen for it to perform better. Might try a foil.
    When I first bought it seemed to tilt hard to tthe port side when travelling. Had me worried until afrer a few trips I starting trimming it out a bit more and straightened up just fine. Has turned out to be a top little boat, particularly for the bay

Owners manuals are good to read

engine probably mounted too low or trimmed under too far