Thread: Windy wednesday at masthead!

Windy wednesday at masthead!

Hi all, I took a couple of cowboys and headed for Boyne island on Tuesday afternoon,
    the weather looked like it might drop early Wednesday morning to around 10-15's, with this not
    eventuating and it being closer to 20-25 kn, I decided to wait until daylight and poke our nose out the front
    to get a feel for the seas, it was rough as guts but my old rig seemed to handle it alright, so we poked on out
    to masthead island! Once there we took shelter in behind it in the shallows, we started fishing and it wasn't
    long before we had a few trout and red throat on board, things were warming up and the moral was a bit higher
    After the trip out! My crew were Rob(game harvester from westmar) and Adam(ABH transport Wandoan)
    , the guys were keen as mustard and having a ball with a few fish coming in! As the afternoon progressed
    we poked our way east staying on the lee ward side of the reefs as much as possible, coming in close to anothr
    reef we continued on catching more trout( to 6 kg) and red throat with some 2-3 kg models being put into
    A nice cold slurry( after being brain spiked and bled)! We fished well into the night before the sharks came
    in and put an end to that! By then we had 15 good trout and nearly our bag of red throat, so with the boys
    Smiling and the wind slowly starting to drop we made our way into deeper water to find some structure to
    anchor on for the night! Once anchored we fished while the bacon and egg wraps were warming in the pie
    warmers, we were getting hammered by sharks again, and I was suffering a migraine which made me quite ill!
    I decided to call it a night and left the boys to get their arms stretched by some large sharks! The wind dropped out
    To a total glassout at around 1.30 am, I woke again at 3.30 and the boys were asleep so I proceeded to go
    to the back of the boat to relieve myself, I was still a bit groggy from the migraine, I stood up on the back of
    the boat and next thing I new I was in the water, pitch black and in 35m of water where the guys had been pulling
    sharks in all night was not a good place to be! After completely shitting myself I scrambled back aboard to
    see two very stunned sets of eyes looking at me and trying to work out what the f#$k just happened! Once
    over the shock of it all and a quick change, a decision to start looking for more ground was made!
    With not much luck until daylight where a couple of good sized parrot and red throat were jagged on the 10\os
    , we persisted on moving and dropping for the next 5-6 hours chasing those elusive red fish! Big baits(tick)
    Structure and good shows of fish (tick), crew scared to within an inch of their life on the rules of engagement
    for red fish a la Bannana(tick), we burleyed with pillies and had the pickers going nuts for hours! At one stage
    A school of school mackeral came past and after some swift handy work with the baitrunners two new fresh baits were on board! We came onto one good patch of fish on the sounder and rob finally got the hit we were waiting
    for only to disconnect after a quick but solid tussle which looked very red! With hopes up we continued on
    jagging a few more fish as we went, the weather had been good for Thursday and with little to no run, the water was crystal clear, a call was made to head back in to the Boyne before the 20-25knot forecast came through!
    As we neared land the vision of a solid thunderstorm greeted us and in no time the wind picked up and it was pouring down! The boat was retrieved without incident and after a quick flush of the motor we pointed the
    Hilux west and headed for home( just over 4 1\2 hours away and not quite ayers rock��)! All in all we had
    A great trip I learned a heap more about the reef, my boat and myself! The boys had a great time and we all
    Went home with an exceptional feed of fish! Sorry guys I didn't take any photos, will try to rectify that in future
    posts lol.

Cheers Andrew

Re: Windy wednesday at masthead!

Lucky the current wasn't roaring that night! Thx for the report..

Top stuff whallup!
    bloody lucky you could get back in the boat after falling in....you could have disappeared never to be seen again.....
    I did have a laugh after you told me on Thursday night though....would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you went in..:-)

Thanks for the report and good to see you ended up with a nice bag of fish. Yeah Keith makes catching Reds easier than it is that's for sure. Lucky escape after falling in but its better when it ends up being something you'll be laughing about every time you catch up for a few coldies.
    Gav

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Top stuff whallup!
    bloody lucky you could get back in the boat after falling in....you could have disappeared never to be seen again.....
    I did have a laugh after you told me on Thursday night though....would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you went in..:-)
    Lol, I was wide awake afterwards!

That's why they invented scuppers.

Quote Originally Posted by No Tiller View Post
    That's why they invented scuppers.
    She not self draining mate but I will remember that in September on a certain other boat! Cheers

Great report Cods,
    Lucky with the fall in the drink in the middle of the night

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Great report Cods,
    Lucky with the fall in the drink in the middle of the night
    Yeah rob, lucky lucky, it was p#ss funny once I was back in the boat though, certainly wasn't expecting that to happen! Lol