Thread: Live bait

Live bait

Hi guys,

I need to guidance/help. ive not long been into boating in the Moreton bay area, I've tried many places, time and time again but they still elude me.

Any 1 mind sharing some secrets on how/where to catch some live bait, (Yakka's/Yellow tails, or slimys).

where its a reply by message or via the thread I don't mind, just spent the last year with my new boat looking all around and never seen them, and I would enjoy the chance at catching something nice for the dinner plate,

Cheers for any help.

Re: Live bait

I leave from wello point head out through the markers turn left and head to the red beacon. Theres plenty around there.

Do you fish Harry's art I if so put a bait jig on and keep it ready southern end right on the drop off you should find bait yakkas (small) pike even tailor slabs work great for snapper at Harry's. Hope this helps

cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Hi Scott, I've tried many times to find that Harrys art, I looked up the website for the GPS. I think I went back n forth 20 times watching the sounder, never seen a rise, all flat bottom on the sounder, the website must be out a little.

losferfish, cheers, I've never been from wello point before, I generally put in at fisherman's island, or Bribie.

Thanks for your tips fella's

Quote Originally Posted by boldric View Post
    Hi Scott, I've tried many times to find that Harrys art, I looked up the website for the GPS. I think I went back n forth 20 times watching the sounder, never seen a rise, all flat bottom on the sounder, the website must be out a little.

losferfish, cheers, I've never been from wello point before, I generally put in at fisherman's island, or Bribie.

Thanks for your tips fella's
    all i can sugest is wait for some good weather and find the boats there is always 20 boats there
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Try the m6 or m8 beacons , in fact most of the beacons in the northern bay will hold bait at different times throughout the year it can take abut of driving to find them some times, cheers hunter

The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Hunter, does beacon to beacon mention the marker names? ive heard of the measured mile beacon but still unsure of any of those beacon positions, ive tried googling them, but they are not mentioned

we find the bait at the beacons can change from day to day, we just keep trying different ones till we find the bait
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Do you have a decent sounder? Are the fish symbols turned off? Is the gain turned up? Can you see bait on your sounder at the beacons?

If you can see bait, you should be able to catch it on bait jigs. Not easy when the current is running fast. Best way is to line up a drift carefully and you should be able to drop the jig or lob it down-current so it reaches the bottom. 2 oz snapper lead should be enough.

If you still have trouble, it might be worthwhile going on a charter to watch and see how someone who knows what they are doing does it. $150 or so can be a very worthwhile investment in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by boldric View Post
    Hunter, does beacon to beacon mention the marker names? ive heard of the measured mile beacon but still unsure of any of those beacon positions, ive tried googling them, but they are not mentioned
    Hi Boldric the beacon to beacon should name the beacons in the bay however if it doesn't for some reason the M6 beacon is about 1 to 2 Kms due east of curtain artificial reef on the inside of moreton island ,that should get you started anyway cheers hunter

/... Ignore

Thanks every 1 for you input, once this horrid weather fix's itself ill start the learning grind with your tips, much appreciated.