Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crab pots slashed

Crab pots slashed

Hi there
    I have been crabbing the pin area for many years and over a 5 or 6 year (maybe longer) period I have consistently had the top of my net slashed or the keeper cord slashed and removed. It happened again last week ( I was camping for a couple of days) – 3 pots slashed and crabs removed and one pot stolen (it could not have drifted off). It also most likely happened early morning or night time as they were in shallow water and a high tide would be needed to get a boat to them. The consistency of these events would suggest it is a person who frequents the pin on a regular basis – it is most pro–fessionally done. Has anyone else had this happen in the pin area or elsewhere (the cutting of the top of the net to prevent further crabbing that is)? I am considering setting up a go-pro to try and catch the culprit on video.

Re: Crab pots slashed

Mate if u have pro crabbers in the area this is something they do. It happens in the Rainbow Beach, Tin Can Bay areas.

Hi Rodman
    There are a few pros working the area but did not want to specifically point the finger

I say get the Gopro proof and sent it to the appropriate authorities. Wouldn't hurt to put it up here as well. Nothing like a bit of social media to help the cause.
    AB

Had 2 pots with the top cut open up Cobby Cobby earlier this year. same deal, top cord cut and the goodies gone. don't know if it's a pro or just low life scum...

report it to fisheries they might be able to assist with surveilance. They were apparently using a motion sensor fitted to the float of a pot to catch some other scum bags just south of the pin last Christmas.

Cheers

jim

Thanks Jim
    Will drop a line to the fisheries -- who knows might help

Tie a couple of knots in rope and put couple fish hooks in rope.

The knots are there so u know where they are.

Only lift them once.

just a thought

You are a mean mother seahorse

pretty sure it is illegal to booby trap your pots, due to fisheries needing to remove them in some instances.

Stuff the fisheries. Thats stealing as well, because i bet they pinch a few if they check them.
    why would they need to check ur pots if they ate in the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Stuff the fisheries. Thats stealing as well, because i bet they pinch a few if they check them.
    why would they need to check ur pots if they ate in the water?
    Maybe that want to check it conforms to size of trap and size of opening rules or just that its marked correctly ,for what ever reason YOU can't leave a mantrap on the rope or trap . Although it's your property you still can't hurt or maime anybody with any sort of trap ..Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I did say, only a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    Mate if u have pro crabbers in the area this is something they do. It happens in the Rainbow Beach, Tin Can Bay areas.
    Not sure about the Tin Can Bay area, maybe things have changed in the last few years up there, but the pro crabbers who used to work that area would have never touched your gear. The same could not be said for rec fisho's touching the pro's gear though.

I think too many people blame the pro's. There was a photo posted here with some crab pot thieves not that long ago, defiantly not pro's. They may be a few dud pro's out there, but I think for they most part they are just used as a scapegoat. I think you will find that 99% of pot theives are recs with no respect for anyone else.

I tend to agree with you RealAndy - most pros are just people trying to make a living and most do the right thing. However it just seems a bit suspicious the regular occurence of the slashings over the years and the number of people I know who have been affected -- it has to be someone in the area a lot (like a pro) and why vandalise the pot so it cannot be used if you are only after the crabs. As far as I can see only a pro would want to see the pot out of action.

Ive worked for a pro crabber/fisherman for a number of years between rocky and MacKay, we had our own dealings with "share farmers"/recs, but with the tides, we didn't have time to worry about anyone else's pots, too busy trying to get the run finished! I fished and crabbed the pin for a number of years as a young fella and never had any trouble with my pots, ive seen pros come and go from places down there that I would never had thought of, usually on the top if tide and flat out, I don't know many that would run their pots at night time!
    By the same token, it would be bloody painful and frustrating that this is happening to your pots, that camera would help things with some decent evidence!