Thread: wetsuit for Melbourne waters

wetsuit for Melbourne waters

Hi Guys,

what mm are you guys using in Melbourne to snorkel? Mainly swim for fun and/or abs. Keen to extend the season and the time in the water. Used to dive a bit and had i think just a 3mm which was still cold most of the time....

Scuba shop tries to sell me a super thick wetsuit every time (more thick = more $) i am just a bit worried about being so buoyant and maybe ability to move freely diving for abs.

Re: wetsuit for Melbourne waters

It has been many decades since I dived in Victorian waters however I doubt that the water temps would have changed, so back in my younger years diving the bay and the back beaches around Rye, we used to used 3/16" chemical blown neoprene which was better than nothing but we still would get very chilled after diving for a few hours, later on the better quality neoprene came out and I went with a 1/4" lined suit, and comparing the two was like chalk and cheese in the warmth department. With that one I could actually dive in the middle of winter and not come out like an icicle, although parts of my face would still be frozen and the first stream of water running down the back inside the suit was a shocker.

Nowadays I think that they are about 7mm and the design, materials and construction has significantly improved since the old days, however if I were to buy one today for diving in Victoria, I would be looking for a good fitting hooded suit with good seals and knee pads. Yes they are more money but they are worth their weight in gold if diving through out the year. Provided they are well designed they shouldn't restrict your movements too much and as for the extra buoyancy just wack on a bit more lead to your belt. You probably wont do much swimming in them but when diving you mainly use your legs anyway. Don't go cheap on a good wetsuit, it will probably be the best and most important investment you can make for cold water diving/snorkeling and should last you a very long time.

Cheers

Ed.

What size are ya? I live in qld now but used to scuba in vic a lot, have a moray semi dry (was real good even in winter) XL which I don't use so could sell cheap, it's old but still in good condition except one cuff needs a bit of thread, never peed in

How did you warm it up if you never peed in it?

I had a 3mm Abalone when I dived in Melb and I'm sure I peed in it!
    Bloody thing still shrank by the time I tried to get in it after a few years away.

Cheers
    Chimo

All depends on how much you feel the cold, too.

I'm not happy in anything under 30C, so I wear a 7mm wet year round in Qld, even in the tropics (offshore) when spearing. Bit warm out of the water, but once in - perfect. Gets a bit cool off Brissy in winter after about half an hour.

If it were me, I'd be going 10mm for down there.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    How did you warm it up if you never peed in it?

I had a 3mm Abalone when I dived in Melb and I'm sure I peed in it!
    Bloody thing still shrank by the time I tried to get in it after a few years away.

Cheers
    Chimo
    Know what you mean, bloody things shrink every year!

Thanks guys - i will go back and have another look. 10mms feel thick.

5mm open cell with a hood. Plenty warm enough unless you're ab diving for 3 hrs....