Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally went north for a look

finally went north for a look

finally dragged the cat north for the first time last weekend,we only went as far a double island but had a bit of a plan with jut a few starter marks to get us going,we launched from carlo point just before sunset and headed for the bar... we had rang the tin can vmr for the latest marks for the bar earlier in the day and the crossing was pretty flat...we headed out 35 k to a starter mark I had been givin which was basically just at the start of a reef line....didn't take long to find a bit of a show and we dropped lines,plenty of small crap first but we managed a couple of pearlies a horse spangle a squire and a couple of other keepers...

next morning we moved about a k further north and found a nice ledge where the tuskies where chewing there head off but no size to them all just legal so where returned to the water.we headed out another 20k to another mark I was givin and within 20 minute of sounding we found a couple of nice lumps but only managed better tuskies around the 35-40 cm mark and a few just under reds..with the box looking ok we headed out out bit further and found another rock which was full of hussar and tuskies once again...finished up with a nice feed of 24 fish getting our bag of tuskies.will be up there again soon and will anchor on a rock for the nite and try and get onto a keeper red ....one thing for sure the tuskies are as thick up there as diver whiting down here....spangle went around 8.4 kilo
    cheers rosco
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11147160_10153326205778186_492928427703780092_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	109312  

Re: finally went north for a look

That's a nice little haul and a cracking spangle well done

Good job Rosco.

Did you stay out that night or come in & head out again??

You are right about the tusks up there. They are thick, but we usually get good size ones around the 40-44 mark. Never had much trouble with undersized ones??

Still reckon they are prime eating!! Thats a horse of a spangle. Had a fillet yet?? I get mixed reports about them, but have never tried one.

Great report mate & good to see you are getting further north.

Tony

we stayed out tony anchored up in 50mtrs of water,i give the spangle to mick my usual deckie he ate some and said it was nice...as with the tusks mate we where hooking heaps 30 and 31 cm which we returned

Good feed mate....shit I would have thought tony would have given you a flogging over those hussar..lol ..after some of your gee ups.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    Good feed mate....shit I would have thought tony would have given you a flogging over those hussar..lol ..after some of your gee ups.

What, the other red meat!! LOL

Jason I think tony is just happy to see another fisho take a few hussar home for a feed....

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    Jason I think tony is just happy to see another fisho take a few hussar home for a feed....
    You may not know it, but you are taking heaps of pressure off me, & I thank you.....

the whole trip up there tony was to get a few fish back in the freezer as it was empty which we done,hopefully get out on Monday for a look at the snapper off straddie...hussar are tasty little buggers and will be happily thrown in my box to top it up

the whole trip up there tony was to get a few fish back in the freezer as it was empty which we done,hopefully get out on Monday for a look at the snapper off straddie...hussar are tasty little buggers and will be happily thrown in my box to top it up
    SEE!! I have been telling all you morons forever they are great on the chew!!

Or the other side of it could be that Rosco can't catch decent fish to save himself, very similar to myself, so hussar, bait to you other clowns, becomes our preferred table fish

yeah mate am a shit fisho just like you but am smart enough to leave the missus at home so she doesn't outfish me like yours does.haha

yeah mate am a shit fisho just like you but am smart enough to leave the missus at home so she doesn't outfish me like yours does.haha
    You may think I'm not real smart, but Juna fills the esky & brings beautiful hot meals out as well.

So who's the dummy now knucklehead??

see that's the problem mate,if you fish instead of feeding your face you prob outfish her and then the blokes on here would leave ya alone.least we now know how she does it every trip

Not bad Rosco for your first time.
    Personally mate I use the Tin Can ramp,it's an extra 30 min to Rainbow towing the boat but only 3min in the boat.
    You should of given me a call mate.
    At least you got out.
    Cheers Mick.

Hussar are good chewin and easy to fillet. If you don't have the red emperor, red throat and trout in your coral reef fish like some get they are a welcome catch and under rated. Tony you forgot to say she drives the boat and puts you onto the fish aswell. We'll be seeing you on the hards next rosco and not as far to drive.