Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beach driving and car wash.

Beach driving and car wash.

Well boys and girls I have just purchased my new 4by being a 2012 Pajero Platinum 2 series and I am pretty stoked with it. Previously had an 02 Pajero as a tester and loved it so upgraded. My question is that like all the other 4by's I have had it will be doing some beach work, some freak out at me saying you r going to take a near new car on the beach, but i didn't buy it to go to Woolies in......I bought a 4wd to go 4wdriving......I am wanting to know what peoples thoughts are about taking it through a car wash once off the beach???? Will it do a good enough job of gettin the salt and sand off her, One automatic car wash near me also gives an under-body wash at the same time. Am i just trying to be lazy and get out of washing it at home or will it do a better job than me with a bucket and a hose..............I have completely abused my other trucks, they would get a quick wash and I would at times place a sprinkler under her moving it back every now and then after a beach run, but I NEED TO CHANGED MY WAYS, with this truck being pretty much brand new with 50k on the clock.......dont want to really discuss rust protection methods etc, just is this a good way to go after a day on the beach.....
    Thoughts Please,
    JN

Re: Beach driving and car wash.

I do the underbody wash at Tewantin, then sprinkler at home with a full hose out of the chassis etc. The hose out at home always removes a heap more sand, including getting freshwater down chassis. The underside of my car is also coated in lanolin and fish oil and I also keep the turtle wax up to the paint work. Nil issues in three years.

I clmib under with a gurney, amazing how much sand comes out of the nooks and cranny's, even after going through the wash at Tewantain.

Hi.

DO yourself a favour.
    Buy a cheap old Disco.Nissan Mitzi etc for your beach work.
    No matter what you do to it. using a new 4by on beaches will rot it out real quick

Cost wise nowadays . cars are thin as they can get away with , with the most lightest, economical coatings they can apply.
    Unlike the 20yr old solid steel and 1/8th inch paints they had.
    You'll get a disco/Mitzi. Nissan etc for around $4 to $7 grand.
    tow on trailer to playground and admire your current new vehicle in 15 yrs time.
    Still as good as new.
    I use a '91 GQ 3 ltr petrol with Turbo head and manifolds for that game.
    Cheap as. goes like stink and costs nothing. One day it'll make a fishing mark.

Ausfish Bronze Member anythingfishy1's Avatar

Hi
    I have a 06 pajero that is on fraser 8 times a year.
    With the pajero you have a plate underneath your larger back seat where you can change your fuel filter, you need to take off two plates to get to it and as my mechanic says full of sand every time. I did not even know about it. For the rest I use a hose without any nozzle and stick it in all the crevices you can find especially between the fuel tank and guard. You do get a lot of sand out even when you use the underbody wash.
    Cheers
    Kelvin

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    . Am i just trying to be lazy........, but I NEED TO CHANGED MY WAYS,
    JN
    Suspect you knew the answer before you typed the question. Under you go.

My friend build the one in Tewantin and many others . There is no filter for salt . Takes off the sand but give it a good flush with the hose/gurney/saltaway when you get home .
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    My friend build the one in Tewantin and many others . There is no filter for salt . Takes off the sand but give it a good flush with the hose/gurney/saltaway when you get home .
    Often wondered this. Ironic, all the blokes that won't drive in the water stopping for a recycled saltwater underbody wash on the way home. If they don't change their water regularly you could end up with more salt than in seawater.

I got one of these to hook up to the hose, got it from the 4 x 4/camping/boating show, at the Ekka grounds. As mentioned above, doesn't get everything. Can also recommend the electronic rust prevention gear.

Hope the photo works.

Attachment 110404

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    As mentioned above, doesn't get everything. Can also recommend the electronic rust prevention gear.
    Been done to death here before. Electronic rust protection does not, and cannot work. There is only subjective opinion to suggest electronic rust prevention does work, however there is plenty of scientific evidence that shows they dont work. A proper industrial coating is the only way to prevent rust..

I must have been lucky with my Pajero. Was a 95 model and used to do a lot of beach work with a quick hose down if at all. Sold it in2013 with no rust! Pretty good them pajeros!

I also have a Paj .... great 4by for beach work !!

After my beach holidays, I put it on ramps, spend about 90min underneath it with scuba mask on to avoid gunk in my eyes :-)
    Hose goes in every nook, cranny, hole that I can find and half of the beach ends up on my lawn :-) I do not trust any automated wash for this job.
    After 4 years of regular beach trips the only rust I can see is on the brackets that hold the running boards (next project is to chuck these and make rocksliders) ... and a few of the exposed supension/drive bits that I wirebrush and spray with Lanotec.
    Looks to me like Mitzi did a fair job of rustproofing the Paj as long as you give it a good hose down.

I'm off to Fraser in 10 days ..... whoop whoop :-)

Beach driving and car wash.

My '97 Pajero has done Fraser 5 times, other beach work over the last 15 years or so. No rust yet! Sorry but I don't agree with Macka17, newer 4x4 manufacturers have learned where rust is most likely and rust proof panels in the factory by putting sealant at the joins between them. Other much smarter designs these days will find a lot more plastic in typically rust prone areas such as behind rear wheel arches. JN will have bought an upgrade for comfort and reliability, ESPECIALLY because 4WDs take you to secluded places where you need that reliability. Buying an older vehicle is going backward IMHO. I hit it with the karcher 1st, then i Crawl under the truck and take the nozzle and hose fittings off to give the hose a smaller profile so you can squeeze into the rails and any difficult places not normally accessible. Water volume is what you need, so even if you have not got all the sand out, chances are that you have dissolved all the salt. Then the last thing I do is head for a hot shower, I will be soaked to the bone afterward.

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right Scalem, got a young family now and want them and myslef to be comfy and not have to worry about car issues if well off the track. I have copped plenty of flack form diff people abut spending that much money of a 4by to then take it up the beach, even the car dealer was shocked. I said to him I don't buy my 4wd to go to woollies in. But apparently he does........! On another note, I have noticed that every time i have to start the again, I need to turn off the Stability control, must be a fail safe Mech. Pain in the arse as have to remember about that. Went up Iluka beach on the weekend, soft going and was wondering why the pajy was struggling. Need to remember to turn that off every time......
    JN

They all do unless you have a rotary terrain dial. My Ranger is the same as yours. On the rust thing, I have a scratch in the front panel from 18 months back that hasn't started to rust yet even after a few trips up the beach. They are prep coated very well these days - it looks like zinc under the [pretty shitty] acrylic topcoat. I'll take that every time.
    nil carborundum illegitimi