Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beach driving and car wash.

Re: Beach driving and car wash.

I was just reading some stuff on the traction/stability control. Some say turn it off, some say leave it on while in the soft stuff. I have only played with it once so far but seemed to go better with it off although havent got stuck yet to have a serious play.Thoughts anyone....
    JN

Beach driving and car wash.

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    I was just reading some stuff on the traction/stability control. Some say turn it off, some say leave it on while in the soft stuff. I have only played with it once so far but seemed to go better with it off although havent got stuck yet to have a serious play.Thoughts anyone....
    JN
    Pajero's are great on the beach JN, the SS2 4WD system is bloody terrific IMHO.

I had the NT DiD on the beach once for a few days, previously an NM and an NL many times (both petrols though). Much preferred the NT on the beach with both TC and SC off.

Just had my LC200 on the beach for a week at Fraser last week on both the Eastern and Western side beaches. Miles better with both TC and SC off too, I reckon. The annoying chatter of the ABS trying to straighten the truck up, when SC was not off too, gave me the screaming sh!ts. Just gotta remember to turn it off each time.

For good washing, grab a $20 gutter cleaning hose fitting from Bunnings. Head swivels ~120 deg on way and ~70 or so the other. Telescopic, trigger operation and fits into the typical chassis holes. Works great and keeps you a lot drier.
    Cheers
    Brendon

I put mie over a sprinkler for about an hour. Just kept mowing it.

All my 4wd have lived on the beach or at boat ramps. all I do is take them to Downey st lubritorium get them steamed cleaned and then have their protective coating applied. After that I simply grab some beers and a hose and get underneath and rinse off. 1993 hilux (2nd hand had it for 5 yrs) 2003 Triton (new kept it 10yrs)and now 2013 Triton. never had any rust on any of them.
    If I get home late and don't have time to clean then I will go through a car wash but that is mainly to get sand/salt off paintwork. I will wash underneath when I have time. Still plenty of sand under there after carwash even with undertook wash.
    I find driving home in the rain gives a good rinse

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Been done to death here before. Electronic rust protection does not, and cannot work. There is only subjective opinion to suggest electronic rust prevention does work, however there is plenty of scientific evidence that shows they dont work. A proper industrial coating is the only way to prevent rust..
    Don't tell the Sydney opera house that, the whole place only stands there thanks to sacrificial cathodes. Same for all water reticular ion systems (Tao water).

As for modern cars, last time I checked plastic and aluminium doesn't rust and everything else is painted.

Maybe you some do some research on the difference between boat motors, boats, bridges, wharves, the opera house - and cars. You'll find the former are all attached to water or wet earth to complete the electrical circuit so that the sacrificial anode can give the electrons back to the steel that's trying to rust. If you keep your car in a water bath, cathodic protection may work. For the rest of us - no.
    The FCC in America actually has court injunctions against companies to prevent them from selling the crap.
    You cannot compare the two.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

My old patrol has never spent any time on the beach but it will soon.
    My plan is to get all the mud out of the chassis rails and paint and rust proof the whole thing.
    Then slip a length of 10mm or so poly pipe up each chassis rail with the end blocked and little holes all along.
    Have a hose fitting on each under the tray. Might even slip a few more bit up around underneath around the guards and trouble spots. Have all the hose fittings in one spot crack a beer and turn the tap on

sent from the beerhunter

There is no substitute for getting your togs on and getting under the vehicle about a week Apart...ie hose it twice especially inside rails and areas that trap salt and sand. My 13 year old Disco2 has no rust despite plenty of beach work...and no its not the LR oil coating...

I swerved round that thing at Tewantin many times....didnt look like the best idea to me.

If you have rails you could do lot worse than to crank up the pressure on the compressor and blast Xtroll Rust Conqueror into every orifice in the chassis rails...atomised nicely by pressure to coat the ceiling of the rails.....gets everywhere because its specific gravity is said to be considerably less than water.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing