Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painting Aluminium Boat - Whats A Good Paint Brand/Type

Re: Painting Aluminium Boat - Whats A Good Paint Brand/Type

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Dan
    poly u 400 is ok, been around a long time, but I would prefer a 2:1 mix , not a 4:1 industrial coating.
    in my opinion only, you get a better finish from Automotive 2:1 than industrial 4:1
    That is just my opinion before someone jumps on me. Lol
    Greg,

We are still negotiating he wants $4k but I only want to pay $3k I also have a car I want him to spray so I'm negotiating for a price for both.

Can you explain the difference between 2:1 & 4:1? also could you shoot me a quote for
    - 12lt colour & 6lt hardener
    - 6lt primer & 4lt hardener
    - 2lt etch primer

I'm undecided on a colour at the moment could you give me a "thumb suck" quote for now or do the price vary wildly depending on the colour.

Thanks

try looking at norglass ive had two boats painted with it and they have both stood the test of time first one had it for ten years and it was still glossy after a wash down and look a dream there is a bit of difference when you lay it down as it is a lot thicker then your standard 2 pac and you really have to get the pressures right too high and it will blow dry but when its done right you cant beat it

Ryangler.
    will need the colour. Prices are based on groups. White cheapest, blues greens middle and orange and reds the dearest.
    i will work something out for you once i get the colour.
    The level of gloss is in the hardener that u use. I just think gloss level lasts longer in a 2:1 mix. Thays 2 parts paint 1 part hard.
    Does the $4000 include paint and primer?
    Here in brisbane a new boat that size would cost around $8000 drive in drive out all finished. Including all materials.

Ryangler.
    will need the colour. Prices are based on groups. White cheapest, blues greens middle and orange and reds the dearest.
    i will work something out for you once i get the colour.
    The level of gloss is in the hardener that u use. I just think gloss level lasts longer in a 2:1 mix. Thays 2 parts paint 1 part hard.
    Does the $4000 include paint and primer?
    Here in brisbane a new boat that size would cost around $8000 drive in drive out all finished. Including all materials.
    Thanks Seahorse,

I will decide on a colour an come back to you, is there a colour chart online I can refer to?

He wanted $4k cash for just labour and consumables (tape, sandpaper etc) but I supply 20lt thinners. Thats for
    - colour to the sides
    - white to the gunwhales, cab and H/T
    - black to the windscreen area
    - Apply tintable U-Pol Raptor bed liner to the deck including insides, top of the gunwhales, gunwhale pockets, top of transom /swim platform, top of hardtop and top of the bow/anchor well area

Have you every seen bed liner used on a boat before?

He will be be prepping and spraying it at my works yard and I will be supplying power via geni to the work area. Him and his mate recon 5 days work or three weekends as he works for one of the pannel beaters in town mon-fri. I've offered them $300 per day cash so $3k for the boat plus $1.5k to respray my old Jeep Wrangler.

At $8k elsewhere I feel like I'm ripping him off but its cash and he has no O/H's. He is a good painter, done my mates Prado for $900 and another mates mustang for $1500.

Cheers

Iam sorry but Rhinothane and rhinogrip is made by Wagon pInts I believe.

If iam correct, I wouldnt use it on my boats.

Its a fair way down the ladder in comparsion to other topcoats and primers.

nothing to do with you Toddo.

I have been in the Automotive and indistrial paints for last 20 years.

cheers
    greg
    Fair enough, been on my boat for 2 years and still looks like in was sprayed yesty! Banged into plenty of tree, racks etc! Not a mark so far so can't complain, but each to their own!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some great info and advice thrown into this thread have any of you guys seen this - www.nanoclear.com.au
    Approx Half the cost of painting but its only through approved applicators not retail/wholesale
    Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk