Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally some DI Reds

Re: Finally some DI Reds

Top stuff shane. Awesome results for a big effort mate.

Shane over the years I have helped many,but I have to say no one has thanked me like that so I appreciated it. cracking reds mate well done

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Well done Shane and big effort. You deserve the results.
    Cheers mate. It was good trip. Didnt catch as much as you but hopefully one day lol. You are the guru to me and the boys. We always read your reports and say one day thatl be us haha.

mate that extreme bunker syndrome rod. What can i say. I dont know how i fished without it. I was 50-50 length even after i got it but that extra length is awesome for feeling bites. I got the 14.4kg red on it on 60lb braid 70lb leader and it handled it perfect. I did what you said. Lock up and winch haha. Once its head turned he came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhunter View Post
    Shane over the years I have helped many,but I have to say no one has thanked me like that so I appreciated it. cracking reds mate well done
    Mate seeing you put so much effort in every trip even though you know area well i knew it wasnt going to be easy. Di is hard. It test patients. I seriously wasnt going to go back after first few trips. But decided to presist.
    now i have rough idea on what area to look. I already have it mapped out on what i want to sound. Next trip going straight there and spend serious time there

shane

After spending that amount of time sounding for potential spots it's no wonder some of us get precious about them when blow flies ping you. Effort = reward, you certainly proved that Shane, thanks for the post.

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report mate and congrats on the PB. Smashed it

cheers boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

Quote Originally Posted by shane69 View Post
    Cheers mate. It was good trip. Didnt catch as much as you but hopefully one day lol. You are the guru to me and the boys. We always read your reports and say one day thatl be us haha.

mate that extreme bunker syndrome rod. What can i say. I dont know how i fished without it. I was 50-50 length even after i got it but that extra length is awesome for feeling bites. I got the 14.4kg red on it on 60lb braid 70lb leader and it handled it perfect. I did what you said. Lock up and winch haha. Once its head turned he came up.
    Good on ya mate. The "Bring It On" (same as the bunker syndrome just not as good guides) is awesome mate especially in the shallows or a running ball sinker to a 10 ball. You will slay the reef when you get back up there especially if you gang big guns. Its a pain in the arse because you hook every fish even the small ones but if you put yourself on quality (No doubt you will) you'll clean up. Watch how quick you bring a shark to the surface with that whiting rod..lol

Did you get Mark to knock you up a skull drag for the reds???

I met your mate Sean the other day.. top bloke. Using a few different hooks of his over the next few trips. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Good on ya mate. The "Bring It On" (same as the bunker syndrome just not as good guides) is awesome mate especially in the shallows or a running ball sinker to a 10 ball. You will slay the reef when you get back up there especially if you gang big guns. Its a pain in the arse because you hook every fish even the small ones but if you put yourself on quality (No doubt you will) you'll clean up. Watch how quick you bring a shark to the surface with that whiting rod..lol

Did you get Mark to knock you up a skull drag for the reds???

I met your mate Sean the other day.. top bloke. Using a few different hooks of his over the next few trips. So far so good.
    yeah mate i saw the slull drag. Nice rod. Espically for big lead. I will order one soon. I think its time to retire the venom lol. It was a good rod but skull drag shits all over it.

Yeah i took a similar rig you use up with thise massive hooks. I dont know how you fish them lol. I was using massive tiger squid on them. Couldnt hook anything lol.
    I will give them a go in 1770 though. Nore reds there than di lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hookinin View Post
    Great report and well done with the catch. I am going to have to target some reds myself up that way. I run into your mate a fair bit at the Mooloolaba ramp.
    Gaven
    Cheers mate.
    yeah the boats gets around the banks a bit. Thats where mainly they fish. Its too expensive to take out of south passage for few squire.

Shabe

Well done Shane, those two got me hooked on the red beasts as well . What are these rods you guys speak of ?

Quote Originally Posted by shane69 View Post
    yeah mate i saw the slull drag. Nice rod. Espically for big lead. I will order one soon. I think its time to retire the venom lol. It was a good rod but skull drag shits all over it.

Yeah i took a similar rig you use up with thise massive hooks. I dont know how you fish them lol. I was using massive tiger squid on them. Couldnt hook anything lol.
    I will give them a go in 1770 though. Nore reds there than di lol.
    Mate the bring it on will struggle to hook up with those hooks. Way to soft a tip to handle such a big gauge, bait, barb and weight... if thats what you tried?

Mate in the first 20 minutes of fishing the other afternoon I had my personal bag on reds.... 100% hook up rate and 100% landed using a Skull Drag. Theres other times where the guys beside me fish the same hooks and rigs and techniques and catch 5 fish to my 2 (Snapper basher & Moejoes the other week for example) but only because they are fishing the same but the one thing we all have in common is none or very little fish are ever dropped with this set up. However in the last 5 trips we've landed 60 legal reds and 95% were when I was specifically targeting them and mostly on new spots. I experiment every trip and have had some good guys who can certainly fish who use venoms that are fishing next to me and I have learnt a lot to say the least. On the 4 trips a venom has been used recently it has only landed 3 of the legal reds and has dropped more than all other rods combined. In saying that the hooks i use are different and bigger than the ones you tried and probably not suited to the baits you use therefore hard to judge on that alone.

What I will say is that reds can throw a set of hooks better than any fish I have caught and are a distinctive bite so you basically always know if you've got one on or dropped one. The hooks you use are to match the baits you use not the other way around. If you are using double extra large mullet fillets and adding 5 or 6 pillies to your hooks you will never achieve this with a set of 8/0 big guns or 77'66's hence the reason I use the large hooks. The big baits are to burley up the fish and if guys are fishing next to me landing red throats and hussar I ask them to stop fishing or take them to the shallow to do it properly. If targeting reds then its red alone and big baits are there to bring the commotion under the boat and keep enough bait on the hooks to bring in a red and push aside a dozen hussar, red throats and what ever else there is circling that bait ball..... Hence the big baits and a rod that can handle the weight of this combined with enough grunt to land anything and most importantly a soft tip and plenty of travel in the first 50% of the rod and stiff as for the second 50% of the rod. This gives you a massive bungy-cord effect and at no time does the pressure come of the hooks to allow the fish that split second of loss of pressure to throw the hooks.

I know you don't need any tips Shane and the guys who are steering you are guns mate thats for sure but just trying to explain the different approach to using big baits and big hooks and why the Skull Drag is suited to this purpose.

Not trying to hijack your thread or look/sound like a dick.

cheers

Awesome mate, i now know what you are up to! Ill put some of your methods into practice with my gear next trip i get out!
    Sean

Again well done Shane and I appreciate the kind words for helping you over the years. You deserved those fish and I remember many years ago when I was answering your 5963 questions (lol) that I thought you would soon become a good fisherman. Why? Because you were asking the right questions and spent more time on the water than anyone else I knew. It’s a challenging area at the best of times but when a plan comes together it’s so worth it.

Keith you have some valid points in regards to rods mate although I would like to add to this. On my boat we run a selection of long, short, custom and off the shelf rods. I originally started using a Venom rod for jigging but soon grew fond of it for reef fishing and in particular for reds and other large reefies.

I think it needs to be pointed out that “venom” is a brand and not a particular model of rod being used. Venom rods make such a large range ofrods to suit all types of fishing so choosing the right one to suit your style of fishing and species is important.

The shorter 450gram PE5-10 venom rod which I use at times and assume your referring to is great for those who like a shorter rod which is suited to big fish. I’ve caught hundreds of reds on it and never had problems dropping fish on them. I gather this might have more to do with other reasons you have referred to. They also make them in much longer and lighter versions which is better suited to those that prefer this style of rod which they are confident in.

Personally I feel it all comes down to being comfortable and confident with what you use so different rods will suit different people. I’ve used such a wide range of rods over the years (including marks rods) and found they all suit different situations, fish and areas.

Regards
    Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

One of the best reports i've read in ages !!!!! good write up..... good fish...... well done !!!!!!!