Thread: Crabbing Criminals... why are they not named ?

Angry Crabbing Criminals... why are they not named ?

1st June 2015.

Three crabbers fined more than $20,000 for catching undersized and female crabs kept their stash in a hidden compartment under their boat’s floor.

The men pleaded guilty to unlawful possession of undersized and female crabs in Cleveland Magistrates Court last week.

They were caught off Victoria Point last September when a Queensland Boating and Fisheries patrol intercepted their vessel.

Officials found five mud crabs and a legal bream onboard, but demanded the boats be taken to the Redlands QBFP station for inspection after suspicions its floor had been modified.

Sixty-nine mud crabs were found inside the secret compartment, of which 58 were either illegally undersized or female.

In addition to the unlawful possession charge, one of the men was charged with obstruction and the other two faced charges of making false and misleading statements about being asleep at the time.

They were fined a total of $20,650 and had their boat, motor, trailer and crab pots seized.

Fisheries officer James Hohenhaus said the rules were in place to protect crabs.

The rules around the number, age and type of crabs that can be taken are very clear and pleading ignorance is no defence,” he said.

“This should serve as a big warning to anyone involved in illegal crabbing and modifying vessels to create hidden compartments for their catch.”
    The seized crabs were returned, alive, to Moreton Bay.

Crab poaching has long been an issue in the southern Redlands, with Redland Bay in particular singled out as a hotspot for the practice.
    The following restrictions apply to crab catches in Queensland:

• Mud crabs: Minimum size limit of 15cm across the widest part; only 10 can be possessed.
    • Blue swimmer/sand crabs: Minimum size limit of 11.5cm across the widest part; no limit on possession.
    • Spanner/frog crabs: Minimum size limit of 10cm from the centre spine to the mid carapace base.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Crabbing Criminals... why are they not named ?

I was thinking the same thing Phil, crap isn't it. the only thing I can think of is there might be more to follow
    IFISHCQ2

Was wondering where one of my pots went
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Here is another example from Sweetwater site.
    http://www.qt.com.au/news/coast-fish...stock/2658788/
    What it does is put a stigma on all fish breeders on the sunshine coast.
    Cheers
    Ray

Blue swimmers are 11.5 notch to notch not the widest part. Good to see them get nailed.

I hate the grubs that do this it is killing the crab population especially around our local spots so glad they got caught 58 illegals WOW imagine how long they have been doing this and the numbers the have taken before being caught! Nothing S#ITS me more then these grubs!! oh sorry them and the ones who check or steal your pots also up there on my list!!

The good thing about this is that all crabs were released alive.

Of note, I wonder how many stop at 10 Muddies if they are there for the taking? Per person or per vessel, either way, I don't care, that's a lot of crab, and whenever I hear the muddies are on the move and have a go, I can only catch the bucks 1 or 2mm short of legal, which is why I seldom bother, going for sandies instead. No limit on sandies should also be reviewed IMHO. I think we should be within what we would be able to consume in one sitting as a family ( living in the same house), not what some use as a goodwill gesture with neighbours, friends and relatives.

On topic, why would anyone design a hidden compartment or catch more than their legal quota? GREED in a word. If any of our harvesting of our natural resource is driven by that same influence, it's time to take a closer look. Just my 2c worth.

Scalem