Thread: Heavy popper casting rod recomendation.

Heavy popper casting rod recomendation.

I am looking for a reasonably decent popper/slice/etc casting spin rod, will have a 850/950 sized braid filled reel attached and used around FNQ wide offshore.

I dont want to spend over 200$, but upon looking around came to a bit of a loss, this will be a dedicated combo and the lengths I was unsure about given every rod is different anyway.

Happy to hear any specific length and weight rods (brands/models) anyone uses that works really quite well to span the bigger poppers and the heavier metal lures....if it can span down to somewhat smaller also that would be good but not mandatory to save yet another purchase and carry on board.

Any good gear out there?

thanks.

Re: Heavy popper casting rod recomendation.

T-curve only mate under 200 bit heavy but will do the job well
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    T-curve only mate under 200 bit heavy but will do the job well
    Thanks for that Jsmfun which one would that be? I cannot find any under 300$ around here (big lack of choice) and they seem too short to get that final flick happening if you know what I mean

Mate the travel 3 peice is 169 at mo tackle but a much better rod to get would be the terez
    Much better rod
    happy days ahead summer is coming

I agree, the T-Curve GT special is a good buy for its price, anything less may not be up to the riggers of casting heavy gear. However its stiffer blank wont allow you to work stick baits very well, limited action. I use one with PE10 up to 180g poppers and large metals like the double bumpa bars, its a good sturdy stick.

Thanks for the replies, certainly hard to find fair prices sticks of this type out there, I failed finding any of those anywhere near my price range so will go with the 7 foot ugly I think, it fits the price range and spin fishing on the reef is not my favoured form of fishing so it's only for every now and then and letting the randoms on board use it...still I might like it, I like my crystal blue jig no less than my T curve jig so I will find out on the modern spins also.

cheers