Thread: Trolling?

Trolling?

Hello, I am a deckhand on a commercial fishing boat. When we are travelling between spots I would like to try my luck, speeds average between 7-9knts. I have never trolled before only bottom bashed and mostly experienced in lake fishing.
    I have a shimano TLD25 and a backbone elite coupled with 40lb braid. Is this suitable? Can anyone recommend me some lures(if this is what they are called)
    Sorry I am lacking knowledge in this area of fishing.
    Thankyou

Re: Trolling?

Whether or not your gear is suitable is going to depend on whether the skipper will stop when you hook a fish or not and just how long he is prepared to wait while you play a fish. 40lb gear will not be enough if the boat is not going to slow down. I have done it with 80lb gear on rod and reel and it was a struggle to land a longtail tuna of about 6 kilo. We generally set up troll lines off the back of a tug using rope or heavy cord as it is easier to retrieve under load. To the end of the rope is attached 15-20 metres of 150 - 300lb mono and the whole thing is set up using some sort of shock absorber like a bike tube. The lures are usually cheaper style skirted lures as they don't always come back.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"