New Hilux

Re: New Hilux

overpriced

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    overpriced
    Standard toyota tax

Does it say what the towing capacity is safari does't like the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    Does it say what the towing capacity is safari does't like the page.
    Measuring 70mm longer and 20mm wider but slightly lower overall than the Mk7 HiLux, the new model comes with a larger tray, an increased 3500kg towing capacity, maximum payload of up to 1240kg, reduced kerb weights and a bigger (80-litre) fuel tank.

what were they thinking with the new front end ? ..... the prado & landcruiser look bad enough - but this is abhorrent

6 speed box .... is a bit behind & so are the specs ....... then they keep the dated 4 lt petrol

Underwhelming ..... & I bet it will be overpriced
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

New Hilux

I am very surprised at the 3500kg towing capacity!

What happened to Tojo's normal conservative approach to their smaller 4b's towing capacity? The 'safe' 2.5t rating in the Lux and Prado was obviously formerly aimed at 'up selling' people into a cruiser, i.e. if you wanted to tow 2.5 plus, and stay with a Tojo (in both wagon and ute)!

Obviously it was very important to 'keep up' with the market. Will be interesting to see what the GVM and GCM will be when the full specs come out.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently the Toyota hilux is getting left behind at the moment. Toyota love to keep things simple, well not any more. By the looks they are going down the USA road, bigger is better. It will be as big as the Ford Ranger, by the look. They've pretty much started fresh. It will still be the best seller when it comes out. I read that DIFFLOCKS are a option, I hope I'm right.

It will be 10K dearer than anything comparable, but still the loyal will flock to it. Personally I think the D max is the pick of the utes at the moment

I can certainly understand the loyalty factor ..... except the hilux hasn't been a patch on the early models for the last decade . ... when you compare the current crop the hilux wouldn't make the top 4.

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see how much of an improvement the new one is.
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Horses for courses....depends what you are comparing I guess..... if you are after an on road or light offroad dual cab to drop the kids to school or run around building sites there is better alternatives than the hilux.
    But....for truly remote Offroad touring with Toyotas reliability availability of spares and mechanics that can work on them I personally would not consider anything else in the current crop......
    the towing rating and so on are just figures on paper..... the other makes have just uprated their vehicles as a selling point... Toyota have traditionally de-rated everything in the name of reliability. I hope they don't go down the same track as the others and sacrifice reliability to try and keep up with the others on paper....they will eventually just become another run of the mill ute.
    If anyone is serious about towing over 2500kg you don't buy a 3ltr 4 cyl ute to tow it.

A little off topic but interesting none the less.....
    a guy working at Mt dare has been recording the vehicle/tyre failures so far this season..... I have copied and pasted below.... Nissan is getting a fair mention in the list....

Broken input shaft on 80 series gearbox - towed in by NPWS, trucked to Alice

Broken plastic mounts on Navara radiator, dumped water, blown head gasket, in bits in workshop waiting on crack test etc etc Muchem $$$'s

Sliced wall STMaxx 85 profile 16" on Land Rover - stuffed

Complete wall failure Grandtrek 17" Prado - stuffed

Drained 60l of petrol out of 4.2 TD Nissan. Flushed etc etc Long story but sent him on his way yesterday.

Bent chassis on D40, tray back with trailer. Refused to take our advice, said it was fine and drove on...

Grandtrek at22 18" - sidewall failure. Why anybody would bring those out here I have no idea. They are so easy to get on and of the rim makes you wonder what they are made of!

Another bent chassis on a navara today. Many contributing factors, speed, 45psi in tyres, overloaded, towing 2t+ camper. One thing I noticed on his truck was the tow bar arrangement seems to be very long between attachment to chassis and actual coupling point, maybe 800mm. Hang 200kg off the end of that lever for few hundred kms! 18 months old. Also 3/4 of the tray is behind the rear axle.

A landie came in with an oil leak (surprise surprise!), rear diff housing cover plate - so relative easy fix.

Today's carnage, rock through the sump of Navara V6 TD, about the size of your fist. No real explanation of what happened but looking at the sump its pretty exposed. Towed in from Purni Bore to Mt Dare. Patched and will be sent on its way tomorrow.

Just replaced a one week old OME nitro charger sport shock on rear of an 80 series. Broke at the piston end of the shaft. I assume at full extension. Replaced under warranty!

Repaired a bike radiator yesterday, split along a tube

And today an after market fuel tank let go in an early patrol.

Starting to see a few upper rear tower failures on patrol tray backs. Apparently this is quite common

I know a few blokes that tow big boats with grossly underpowered vehicles where the weight of the boat exceeds the towing capacity of the vehicle, illegal and dangerous to everyone on the road. My mate who works in insurance told me that should a crash occur with these circumstances the driver wouldn't be covered for car, boat or third party damage, big risk.

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Horses for courses....depends what you are comparing I guess..... if you are after an on road or light offroad dual cab to drop the kids to school or run around building sites there is better alternatives than the hilux.
    But....for truly remote Offroad touring with Toyotas reliability availability of spares and mechanics that can work on them I personally would not consider anything else in the current crop......
    the towing rating and so on are just figures on paper..... the other makes have just uprated their vehicles as a selling point... Toyota have traditionally de-rated everything in the name of reliability. I hope they don't go down the same track as the others and sacrifice reliability to try and keep up with the others on paper....they will eventually just become another run of the mill ute.
    If anyone is serious about towing over 2500kg you don't buy a 3ltr 4 cyl ute to tow it.
    hmmm ..... that may have been the case but I have known 3 blokes who have worked for companies that buy a hell of a lot of utes ........ Hilux have been fail after fail ..... gearbox's , clutches or basic stuff like their dash falls apart . They are not the car they were ........ yes a lot are sold & they have service centres everywhere ..... but it sounds like they need them .
    We do have to be mindful though ..... this segment is dominated by drivers who drive like crap and treat cars like the same ......

Chris

Above post is interesting.My mate,a "one eyed" Toyota man (a Hilux for him and Prado for the wife)has replaced his injectors twice on his 2006 diesel Hilux whilst doing average km's.I am not biased as I have had a Triton,Landcruiser,Dmax/Colorado/Rodeo and now a Navara D40 so I am not loyal to a brand.Probably buy a Ranger next.