Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hilux

Re: New Hilux

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    hmmm ..... that may have been the case but I have known 3 blokes who have worked for companies that buy a hell of a lot of utes ........ Hilux have been fail after fail ..... gearbox's , clutches or basic stuff like their dash falls apart . They are not the car they were ........ yes a lot are sold & they have service centres everywhere ..... but it sounds like they need them .
    We do have to be mindful though ..... this segment is dominated by drivers who drive like crap and treat cars like the same ......

Chris
    Maybe we should manage their hiluxs for them, 10 here, oldest over 300k and not an issue and they are all well worn. Just bought two more cheap before then new one drops. Tough to beat, and we have a shed full of parts and accessories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Giveitacrack View Post
    Above post is interesting.My mate,a "one eyed" Toyota man (a Hilux for him and Prado for the wife)has replaced his injectors twice on his 2006 diesel Hilux whilst doing average km's.I am not biased as I have had a Triton,Landcruiser,Dmax/Colorado/Rodeo and now a Navara D40 so I am not loyal to a brand.Probably buy a Ranger next.
    All injectors are consumables, some brands just don't tell you that. Boom.

Think of it like a timing belt, doesn't last forever yet most engines have one and the cost a bit to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Its funny how different people have different experiences with vehicles...no matter what make....

I had a 2005 Hilux dualcab which was the first of the latest shape. I sold it last year with 340'000km on it and the majority of that driving was offroad including the cape, Simpson Desert and Gunbarrel... The only issue I ever had was rear wheel bearing failure at 320'000km

Clutch was original....ready for replacement when I sold it.
    Original Injectors...even after an extremely bad fuel bug that clogged the pickup in the tank.
    no gearbox issues.

you would wonder how 2 cars could be made so different that one can fall apart and the next not have an issue.....

Makes you wonder wether these same people would have car issues regardless of what they were driving??
    This ^^^^^^

Same with computers, I have people in my office who can't through a day with out ruining something, and the person next to them running identical hardware, software and doing the same job hasn't had an issue for years.

I just have to laugh at the things people think are important. CD player, long tray, towing capacity, number of cylinders etc etc .
    Let me add my favourite. I just googled Toyota hilux specifications. Look under brakes. 2 disk brakes and no mention of .......REAR DRUM BRAKES. Tow 3.5t, yea right. lol.

I would say, I was once a die hard Toyota man, but after a few near miss with poor safety electronics and suspect build engineering was enough for me. My hiluxes tried to killed me a few time. For a 4x4 that is designed around going of road, yet Toyota fails to calibrates the ABS for off road. I hope they have since fix that issue. The one incident I can clearly recall in minute details was the crossing of the northern inland track behind waddy point Fraser Is, near Orchid beach. Approaching an intersection, hit the picks and ABS allow the wheels to continues to rolls on the sand and nearly wiped out a young family in a rodeo. I couldnt appologise enough to the poor family that day. Sold that piece of junk as soon as I got home. I have since learn that hitting the pick in the same ute with 2 wheels on the grass and 2 on bitumen is something you really want to avoid doing.
    But this is me venting, I sure that they last and sell well as a model, but in this day and age, what is getting pushed out by Toyota is very average and sold on false advertising.
    The hilux is not "unbreakable" as claimed by ads and I dont buy the "tongue in cheek" crap.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    I would say, I was once a die hard Toyota man, but after a few near miss with poor safety electronics and suspect build engineering was enough for me. My hiluxes tried to killed me a few time. For a 4x4 that is designed around going of road, yet Toyota fails to calibrates the ABS for off road. I hope they have since fix that issue. The one incident I can clearly recall in minute details was the crossing of the northern inland track behind waddy point Fraser Is, near Orchid beach. Approaching an intersection, hit the picks and ABS allow the wheels to continues to rolls on the sand and nearly wiped out a young family in a rodeo. I couldnt appologise enough to the poor family that day. Sold that piece of junk as soon as I got home. I have since learn that hitting the pick in the same ute with 2 wheels on the grass and 2 on bitumen is something you really want to avoid doing.
    But this is me venting, I sure that they last and sell well as a model, but in this day and age, what is getting pushed out by Toyota is very average and sold on false advertising.
    The hilux is not "unbreakable" as claimed by ads and I dont buy the "tongue in cheek" crap.
    Standard operating procedure in our old 100 series was to pull the abs fuse before hitting the sand. Too many close calls like yours.

A mate who has the current Prado was green with envy after tying out my ranger's hill descent control. It is pretty woeful on the toyotas, but then next gen will hopefully be back on par again.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    Lol, so it's the Toyota Hiluxs fault that the ABS did its job? I can tell you that I have done the same thing in everything from Subarus, Nissans, Toyotas on both Fraser and surrounding beaches.

ABS is supposed to keep the wheels rolling, it does take longer to stop but you can steer away from the accident rather than slide into it.

Part of the skill of beach driving is knowing your vehicle, and AbS performance is one, along with TC and VSC etc, drive to the conditions.

A good tradesman never blames his tools...

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Standard operating procedure in our old 100 series was to pull the abs fuse before hitting the sand. Too many close calls like yours.

A mate who has the current Prado was green with envy after tying out my ranger's hill descent control. It is pretty woeful on the toyotas, but then next gen will hopefully be back on par again.
    Don't tell my Prado that, it must be unique as it works just fine. But you don't need it in 1st L4 anyway. Just a sales gimmick, just as in the ranger.

Don't blame your most hated brand for common problems across the board. It matters not what is attached to the four tyres, as long as they all turn, you have a 4WD that will go anywhere the DRIVER is able to.

Blaming said vehicle just highlights your own incompetence.

The voices are strong tonight mate aren't they. Keep on guessing, it's entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

My remarks about the Hilux having rear drum brakes is not meant to single out Toyota. They are quite good vehicles for the task at hand, no matter what we sometimes say. If you care to check out all the tray "trucks", they all have rear drums.

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

The amount of braking the rears do, drums aren't really going to make a big enough difference to worry about IMO. Easier to service if they were discs though.

My 4 year old nearly 3 ton caravan has drums all round, kinda strange when my dad's caravan 40 yrs ago had discs all round, what's up with that?

lets face it, common sense still plays a large part and the way you drive when towing/4wd, or just driving in General makes the biggest difference, not the tech on the machinery.
    abs is a classic example, most people still believe it will stop you quicker instead of giving you the ability to steer your way out/around.

cheers Ryan

I suspect that what you say may be true in light load conditions. Here in thailand the"overload" country, we see time and time again runoffs at the bottom of hills. Just following a loaded Hilux, you can smell the brakes, lol. These utes ARE the kingswoods of thailand.
    I remember not long ago, a car test also included braking tests. For a vehicle designed to carry 3t, and probably does, whats the braking distance loaded and unloaded?.............chirp...........chirp chirp.
    Only been able to find one reference. 100-0 stopping time 3.14 sec when cold and 3.74 sec when hot. I cant give a reference as I cant find it any more. And it was for a 2012 hilux. I find these figures a bit hard to believe. A good car will stop around in 33-39m These figures suggest something nth of two times these distances (80-110m). Doesnt sound right to me. Wish I could actually find some verifiable figures.

Reading another american site, they explain that the SUV/truck sits higher thus under heavy braking more load is on the front. Offroad tyres increase the stopping distance markedly.
    My logic suggests that maybe the front discs have been beefed up on every model upgrade but the drums are an afterthought. Now if you load the vehicle up, the rears suddenly have to do their share of the work. What are the dynamics at play?
    Just asking the question. I would be very happy to read that its all fine and only my imagination.
    I dont want to get into conspiracy theories, but usually lack of info reflects on not so good performance.

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post
    Lol, so it's the Toyota Hiluxs fault that the ABS did its job? I can tell you that I have done the same thing in everything from Subarus, Nissans, Toyotas on both Fraser and surrounding beaches.

ABS is supposed to keep the wheels rolling, it does take longer to stop but you can steer away from the accident rather than slide into it.

Part of the skill of beach driving is knowing your vehicle, and AbS performance is one, along with TC and VSC etc, drive to the conditions.

A good tradesman never blames his tools...

I can tell you now that my current 4x4 knows when its on the sand and lock up for braking and then goes back to normal abs mode on the hard stuff.

You probably have a point of driver error, but it would only be valid if they printed large bold red and say, "TOYOTA ABS WILL LENGHTEN YOUR BRAKING DISTANCE IN OFF ROAD CONDITIONS"

And guess what, just check owners manual and Nadda.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

With regards to utes in Thailand, they are a very popular form of mass transit yes but can hardly be called massively overloaded with 20-25 small Asians standing up like packed sardines on the tray. (We counted to about 22ish before it got to hard haha). Average weight is prob what 60kgs? So only marginally over payload.

You dont really think disc brakes on the back are going to stop the abuse and overheating following by complete loss of front braking power do you? Proper driving technique will do that, I've driven over far bigger hills and ranges than that towing big trailers in shitty old trucks with drums all round and the old saying still applies today, go down a hill in the gear/gears you used to go up, not ride the brakes down in top gear.

Once again it comes down to common sense, experience and driver training. Please don't anyone rely on tech to compensate for your own shortfalls then blame something else for your own balls up.

cheers Ryan

[QUOTE=Swanie1975;1598487]With regards to utes in Thailand, they are a very popular form of mass transit yes but can hardly be called massively overloaded with 20-25 small Asians standing up like packed sardines on the tray. (We counted to about 22ish before it got to hard haha). Average weight is prob what 60kgs? So only marginally over payload.

You dont know thailand very well! Sure the above scenario happens, but you wouldnt believe the loads they put on the back. The regs allow a 2m overhang at the rear ! And the suspension mods to accomodate. triple rate springs two-three shocks per side on the rear. It could be close to 2tons on the back tray.
    These pics are a normal sight on the roads. Amazing what the locals get away with. Sometimes, hehehe, it falls to pieces.
    Maybe I am over worried about the brakes, but I would still like to know how well it brakes empty and with 750kg (unbraked trailer). I would assume 750kg load would be worst case scenario as anything over has its own brakes.

We cant rely on everyone to be an expert driver. That boat has sailed, unfortunately. But the least we can do is use the best technology available to help avoid problems for people who have no clue, eg ABS. Drum brakes are not the latest and greatest in 2015 by any stretch.
    I am done, no more to say. If somebody posts a good arguement for rear drums , I am happy to recant.