Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting a Pod on my Haines

Fitting a Pod on my Haines

Hi Guys. I am currently fitting a pod to my Haines 565L and am posting some photos of the work so far. The motor will be a black anchor 150 Four. Thanks to Spainard King for all his input but I chose to go ally. The work is being done by Green's Marine Stainless down at Yatala. I'll post some more photos when its finished. Duck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fitting a Pod on my Haines

It's really only kind of a pod, the motor well and so on is still there, what are you hoping to achieve?

Hi Noelm. Just freeing up the back corners of the boat so my deckies can get right in to the back when fishing. I intend to cut the seats out when its finished.
    Duck

why not have the pod go flush with the bottom under the steps and get rid of the trim tabs ?

Hi Astro. The boat needs the trim tabs. If you have ever been in a Haines anything that is a whiff of a breeze, the boat will lean into it. The pod is flushed with the bottom of the hull anyway.<br>Duck

Hey duck,
    What is the price of the job all up?
    If you're not comfortable posting it please pm me.

Ok i am confused. How does this free up the back corners of the boat? And what do you mean by the boat will lean in to a bit of breeze? I am interested in how this goes though as i have a 560sf that will need a transom repair in the next year or so....

Hi Duck,
    Would recommend that you get stainless steel supports attached either side otherwise this will weaken & bend over time as drawn below.
    Had a similar pod on my 635L & needed to add the supports. They'll also act as grab rails which can be handy.
    Also the sides ( Which are hollow underneath ) will create air pockets when sitting idle in choppy conditions & becomes a bit annoying. You might have to drill a series of holes in the top to allow the air to escape but could then create water spouts .
    See how you go with it first.
    Looks good otherwise.

Hi Paul. As the boat is currently, I have a full bench type seat right across the back in front of the transom. With the pod I can now cut the bench away and gain roughly 300mm space. As the Haines has quite a bit of "v", it does lean into the wind when travelling side on to it.
    Hi Moejoes. Didn't think of that. Will give them a call in the morning. Thanks.
    Duck

Why did you go stainless instead of powder coated alloy?

Hi Steve. Its not stainless but alloy and not powder coated because looking at it long term, most powder coated boats and things always blister so I just rather it remain au natural. Picked it up today and took it to have the motor fitted. The boys reckon that I may have it back by the weekend. Yippee.
    Duck

Looking good Duckie! Close to the Edencraft half pod arrangement that they have on the 565 and others. Full pods are ugly compared. Will be interested to see some results once you do some testing.

Hi JJ. Will keep you informed. The work looks the goods. Had the boys seal the holes where the mechanical steering arms went thru in the splash well so I shouldn't get any water in the bilge. It was a pain in the neck to try and remember to turn the bilge pump on

yep will be interested in hearing some results too please duck... before and after shots from inside and outside boat would be good too.

While you are doing some work around that area, have you pulled all the fittings off and waterproofed under them? The dirty trim they put over the top edge of the transom and over where the hull and deck mould join are the usual spots where water ingress starts. I had them all removed and glassed over. Nearly through my second Haines Hunter full rebuild now and seen the damage that water and time can do to these great boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeffo; 22-05-2015 at 06:16 AM.