Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what depth do you catch your Nannies?

Thumbs down At what depth do you catch your Nannies?

Interested, What depth is best for Large Mouth Nannygai.

Re: At what depth do you catch your Nannies?

Haven't caught any under 25mtrs

Would love to see some replies here, still haven't caught any large mouth yet.

When I fished around the Cairns area I would catch them 200 - 300ft. Have caught them shallower but not in numbers or size.

I will add that I was never targeting them but caught as bi catch when fishing for reds out on the rubble patches. They would always be with the reds and the bloody chinaman.

Only ever got one and he was from 40m. There were several caught from this spot a couple of years back. Now affectionately known as " The secret Nannygai spot".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Without being smart - Largies are generally (as the saying goes) "where you find them". Have caught them to 10kg in water as shallow as 60 - 80 feet very close to the coast down to 300+ feet of water over 35nm out and plenty of places in between. It's more about the structure etc than depth specifically.

That said if I wanted to find new country specifically for Largies I would target areas around 120 - 140 feet - only because it's generally "easier" to find good country in that depth (off FNQ where I am anyway) concentrating on contour lines and the like - whereas the shallow close in country is a lot harder and more random to find and the deeper country is obviously further offshore and weather and time on the water become a bigger factor.

just my 2 cents anyhow.

Moffy

I think a lot depends on the time of the year you are fishing. I've found at different times they are in different places and at different depths. Summer time we fish anywhere between 60 to 90 metres and have mixed results. Winter time we've caught our bag in 45-50 metres of water not needing to go out any further. On a certain mark in 80 metres, earlier in winter there is more spangles mixed in with them usually at a ratio of 2:1, and from August onwards it is just emperor and big mouth. But by November/December they have moved away from the spot all together and don't return until March (earliest I've fished it and caught only emperor).

Although, I was always of the opinion that small mouth where in shallower water generally, but my last trip out fishing in 60 metres where I caught some good big mouth in the day was littered with small mouth, after catching a fair few and releasing them we headed out a bit wider and caught the big mouth in 70 metres which was only 3 mile away. My latest train of thought at the moment is the smaller the structure/spot the better for big mouth, and larger/bigger structure is better for mixed bags.

I've also spent many a night on the water chasing them and caught next to nothing. So I'm no expert, I have a lot of trial and error trips, but it's always the thought of it could be this trip.

If you find out exactly what depth, time, moon phase, wind, preferred bait, let me know the spot and I'll try it out for you to confirm.

Pazz

Really enjoyed your post Pazz.

My experience is the opposite. I catch almost all my largemouth at night. Having said that I don't really go deep that much in the day. Maybe I should!
    As noted by Moffy They are where you find them, which is the same for trout as well. I mostly fish them at night between 40 - 55 metres but sounds like I could try a lot deeper as well.

Great thread!
    I catch them drifting and anchored up, and they are
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

To add to the confusion - this was (obviously) daytime (entire video captures part of one morning session - plenty of others caught not shown here)..... in December........and nothing deeper than 80 feet.

http://www.fishandboattube.com.au/me...lery/403-wonga

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I usually fish for Largies in 50 to 70m, though if you can find some isolated structure in the desert then depth doesn't really matter. Night-time is probably best but I prefer fishing in daylight. In the last year or so I've only been fishing for them during the day and still doing pretty well.

Horse with a couple of Nannies from the secret Nannie spot.

Sshhhhh Bull. Hahaha

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Here's a school of Nannies in 70m hanging around a rig loaded with a burley pot. See also the 7inch shad. They love these. In this case it was rigged on a circle hook, so obviously don't rig 'em like that...

http://www.fishandboattube.com.au/me...gai-underwater

Caught this one yesterday in 65mtrs at 11.30am

I haven't caught many nannies probably only 50-100 over the years but all bar 6 were caught during the day. Im sure they are a night fish as noted above but I just rarely fish at night so I'm not the best one to judge. Best bait Ive used is whiting frames and best rig was floating a 5 ball sinker on a 3 x gang set of big gun hooks with swivels in between. The majority of my fish came from one area in 55mtrs but I have also caught them in 35mtrs to 70mtrs. Hookinin/Gav also caught one yesterday in 75mts.