Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Used 4WD

Re: Used 4WD

Hi
    We own a 89 GQ Patrol ,4.2 petrol and even though its an older model and Petrol it has never let us down. Its thirsty compared to diesel but relatively easy to maintain and tows our boat with ease.

After looking for over 12 months i have recently purchased a newer model ST Petrol Patrol. One owner, 133k on the clock,service history and in immaculate condition for my everyday car. I love it.

Only advice I can give is take your time and look around. There are plenty of 4x4 sites if you have facebook and another little tip--if you do look at sites on facebook check out the person's facebook page as well. I was interested in a Patrol up the coast until I decided to look at his facebook page. It doesn't have to be new--just reliable and well looked after.

I was lucky I guess to pick mine up but it took awhile to find one that didn't have 35 inch tyres, a lift kit and had been flogged to death in the mud and sand.

Good luck with your searching

Mrs H

Thanks Ronnie.
    i thought about patrol. I have seen a few around. I was looking at diesel but didnt seem to get the greatest report on the 3 lit.
    Does ur petrol like the petrol? Lol

Thanks for the good advice.
    Just when u think u may have found one there is always a bad report somewhere.

Someone somewhere has had big issues with every 4wd made. Lol

I will just keep looking.

I saw a nice Rodeo couple weeks ago. Second motor. Looked great order, then u read domewhere , dont touchnthem.

cheers
    greg

Hi Greg

Both our patrols are Petrol and yes they are thirsty little devils but great for towing. I checked out so many over the last 12 to 18 months and found lots of good and bad reports on both petrol and diesel--seemed to be alot more of the 3lt diesel-- later models from about 2003 and up I believe. Nothing against diesel- a big factor for me choosing Petrol was I suffer severe migraines and diesel just doesn't agree with me.

There is a site Called Nissan Patrol Forums- you need to sign up but there is lots of info from lots of people. Worth checking out.

With secondhand I guess it is the luck of the draw-- we were fortunate to find the ST and the GQ. Both from fellow Ausfishers on here by the way.

My son has a diesel Rodeo and it seems to go pretty good. Don't ask me model or year.

My best advice is just keep looking and make up your own mind on what is most suitable for your needs. There is good and bad in anything- comes down to making up your own mind and doing abit of research and not jumping in to buy the first thing that comes along. I know-it took me ages to finally find what I wanted.

See how the Nissan Forum goes--if you type in any make of car there will be a forum for it.

Good Luck--let us know what you decide.

Ronnie

This for $34k or $29K if your a Patrol Forum Member "Gu iv 05 st-s td42ti brisbane"

Cheers
    Chimo

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is a real good reason for the Hilux being more expensive,now please do not get offended because you have another brand of vehicle but here goes there really is a reason the Hilux costs more new,THEY ARE THE BEST ON THE MARKET AND FOLKS I HAVE NEVER OWNED ONE.you see Toyota never had to have a 2nd car co. help them build a vehicle look at facts the biggest selling small car in the world today and since 1980 is Corola THE BEST SELLING 4X4 SINCE 1980 WAS THE TOYOTA LANDCRUISER 60 SERIES and still today they sell more yes the cost more but you tell me a diesel motor that often does over 1000,000 klm i tell you its a toyota and i can prove and back up what i have stated.

cheers Hilly

Seahorse PM me been in business for 30years........

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Not a good run chris.
    mate how many k's on the rodeo?
    w
    What is fuel like on the 3 lt. What are the issues with them if any

cheers
    greg
    Hey Greg,

Sorry for the late response.
    Mine's got 196000 on it and came from a property up near Gympie according to the logbook. Came with a Canopy, Bullbar, Brushrails and rock slider style sidesteps.
    Full service history with the book stamped every 10000k up until 186000 when I picked it up from one of the local car yards up here.
    Gearbox was a little clunky trying to select 1st and Reverse but got the gearbox oil changed and now good as gold. Had the diff oils checked and they were pretty clean too.
    A little thirsty sometimes but we use the other half's Captiva to get to work down the Airport so save heaps on fuel. Did used to drive it into the City every day and even down to the Goldy when I was doing contract work for a few months and it was still pretty good on the Diesel.
    Is perfect for what I need it for for towing the boat, going to the tip, taking the dogs to the beach, camping, or heading to Bribie/Fraser.
    Changing the exhaust soon to get a bit more power, and will probably chip it but that's about it for it.
    Love it tho, has character, really recommend it if you're after a no frills truck.
    Cheers
    Chris

Loved my camry, but a pain at the ramp. Retrieving at low tide meant wheelspin on the slime. Forced me to come home when the tide was still up so I was further up the ramp.
    The second hand '99 Prado (4 cyl petrol) has been a ripper. Retrieve any time, and still going strong with 460,000K on the clock.

If you are looking for a bullet proof workhorse and not so worried about dual cab, you can't go wrong with six cylinder diesel land cruisers. I work on a sand mine and I don't believe 4wd's would get driven any harder or in tougher conditions than here. We have quite a few different brands and models of 4wds, from patrols, navaras, hilux's v8 landcruisers. Most of the guys swear by the old 6 cylinder diesels. They just don't have the dramas that the other cars do and just walk through anything that I've driven them through from deep water crossing to washed out tracks and up sandy dunes etc. would recommend the 78 series on with coil spring in front, bit easier ride than the 75 series with leaf front that I used to own.

Bit hard to know with later model dual cabs. Each seem to have there pro's and cons. Looking at getting one soon myself, but leaning towards the hilux, purely because it is a Toyota. Every time I go away from a Toyota I regret it and go back and have less dramas. Pay the money up front and not in the future with the extra repairs.

If you are looking at driving in sand a lot especially and end up with a newer model car make sure it is one that you can completely disengage traction control, think most can. It's a pain in the butt driving them when they start braking different wheels or dropping revs because it's spinning wheels in the sand.

As mentioned before definitely stay away from mine vehicles if you can, they really get abused.

Thanks dave.
    good info

cheers
    greg