Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thru hull install

Thru hull install

Hi all so after picking up the new tranny today

Just ts a couple of questions will it make a difference if I mount it on the port side as the pickup is on the starboard side and takes up all the room??

will I need 2 people to install there is not a great deal of room in there?

how many six packs do I need to get the job done?

and typically I need a 2.3/4 hole sore and I have a 2.5 and 3 inch only

cheers Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: Thru hull install

For starters, if you want to keep the itching and swearing to a minimum - just go and buy the right size hole saw from Trade tools or Bunnings or where ever.

The number of six packs required will purely revolve around your personal tolerance to alcohol coupled with your ability to manage rapidly spinning power tools that have the potential to not only do untold damage to nice shiny gelcoat but also remove parts of your anatomy to which you may (or may not ?????) not only be attached to but fond of. Not to mention the increased chances of getting your new toy the wrong way round in the hole - don't laugh - seen it done. The things are a lot easier to get right the first time than remove - trust me on this.

The side of the hull thing makes no difference mechanically with the transducer mounting. Provided the arrow points to the keel it will work on either side of the hull. The reason Airmar say the starboard side is that with a standard rotation propeller, that is the side that the prop is forcing water away from the hull and is in theory least likely to create interference. I have installed many transducers over the years on the port ide of hulls and they have worked fine but you won't know for sure until the thing is in just whether there will be any issues - this is the unfortunate side of thru hulls.

I have a zero degree thru hull in the Victory that is mounted in a planning/Lifting strake - the thing Airmar say to avoid, that works fine. There are no hard and fast rules. Personally I would be trying to get a bit of space between the prop and the transducer anyway - ie - mount it a bit further forward if at all possible. As such the side of the hull should be less critical than when the transducer is in close proximity to the prop. Make sure that you have no strakes that finish half way down the hull or other fittings from toilets etc. in front of your location and your chosen location will not cause rollers to contact the transducer face during launch and retrieve. Measure twice, including the cable required - drill once ( it's cheaper that way)

Give it to Trymax to install. By the time you buy a whole saw etc it maybe worth just getting them to do it.

Thanks scottar there won't be any alcohol till the hole is done:::: Have already lost bits and pieces::::

so so the transducer must be able to read forward and backwards unlike the Tm150

i have about 300mm to put it in and the most separation from the transom will be around 200mm and 150mm from the pick up. Should that be enough to get a good pic there is no strakes so should be a clean run to transducer

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    Give it to Trymax to install. By the time you buy a whole saw etc it maybe worth just getting them to do it.
    I would mate if I lived anywhere near them and I don't trust the local guys where I live

What head unit are you running. I see Chirp!! nice

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    What head unit are you running. I see Chirp!! nice
    i have a 751xs as my sounder and a 70dv as my plotter and some gmi20's for engine data

All sounders see in a cone shape. Some of the multi element transducers have an elliptical cone but standard type transducers such as these have a single element. Separation distances with trailer boats and indeed boats in general "are what they are" and are typically a compromise. Boats simply do not have enough space to follow the installation instructions fully for all the equipment we fit these days. If 200mm is all you have then that will have to do. If you have had no issues with your transom mount in terms of noise there is a very good chance it will be ok. I have seen one rig that had issues but it is exceptionally rare.

Have you seen this "how to" video from BOE Marine in the USA. Some very good tips from the professionals to be picked up in here.

This is is part 1:
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Have you seen this "how to" video from BOE Marine in the USA. Some very good tips from the professionals to be picked up in here.

This is is part 1:
    Hi mate yes these are the videos that gave me the confidence to do it myself.
    I will be using tape to eliminate mess good idea

So removed both transom mount transducers this arvo and also removed the bilge pumps as that's where it needs to go.

My plan is to install directly opposite the pickup that is as far from the transom I can get it. I am hopefully that this will be far enough forward to not get interference??

Attached Images Attached Images

Mate, I wouldn't have the balls to drop a 70mm hole saw through my hull.
    I would have to get someone else to do it.

Cheers
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Mate, I wouldn't have the balls to drop a 70mm hole saw through my hull.
    I would have to get someone else to do it.

Cheers
    rob
    Lol don't worry rob I reacon when I drill the pilot hole I will feel like the wife might have a grasp and if it goe's wrong she will squeeze them in a unfriendly way

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    and typically I need a 2.3/4 hole sore and I have a 2.5 and 3 inch only

cheers Scott

Hi Scott,
    I have a hole saw if you want to borrow. 70mm. I am just off the Fig Tree Pocket Rd turn off, so if your heading the city way, drop by. I am home most days. I have still been meaning to drop by and catch up, but you know how it is!.

Cheers,
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Lol don't worry rob I reacon when I drill the pilot hole I will feel like the wife might have a grasp and if it goe's wrong she will squeeze them in a unfriendly way
    LOL. Don't worry, it's a feeling you eventually get over. You only have to do it every day for say.......10 or so years.