happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: Thru hull install

Sealed and in the fridge it's about 2/3rds full mate

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post

Sealed and in the fridge it's about 2/3rds full mate
    Thanks.

Fast Cure is no problems. Just means I need to finish shaping the box and get it in tomorrow. I would hate to wait to next weekend and find it has hardened in the tube....

talk in the morning.
    Cheers.

darren you working on the boat today? ill give you a ring a bit latter in the morning
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Sika flex 291 marine will do the job fine if you can't get the 5200.

In fact if you do some research, most of our U.S. friends do not use 5200, they use 4200 because the consensus is that if you use 5200 you will never get the transducer out if you need to. So they don't recommend 5200.

From what I can gather, 4200 and Sika 291 is quite similar. We used 291 on the SS264n pair we installed in my mate's Striper. 2 x 95mm holes!!!

Worked fine, we put it inside and in the hole as well as the transducer was pushed in, no signs of any leaks.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by outta line View Post
    darren you working on the boat today? ill give you a ring a bit latter in the morning
    Yeah. I just need to get the wet box fitted. Arms 12" longer would be good, but its not too bad. Give us a yell anytime.

Thats the go mate, I meant to say just be carful if you use a seal gasket on the outside of the hull (seal ring) it tends to create drag with most thru hull airmar transducers when sounding at speed, but i see you went flush so no worries then.

I am giving it a water test tomorrow arvo going to throw some lures around peel and harries just to try it out and see if it leaks
    Last edited by Jsmfun; 18-05-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    I am giving it a water test tomorrow arvo going to through some lures around peel and harries just to try it out and see if it leaks
    Good luck!!

Scott,
    I got the box in on Sunday arvo, all went well, proved to be easier than I thought getting down deep into the hull via a screw in port. Contrary to most of the internet reports re the 3M 5200 being difficult to work with (some refer to it as death paste), I found it pretty easy. You just need to be careful not to put it where you don't want it.

Thanks again for the leftovers. If ever you need a hand with something on your boat, just let me know.

Cheers.

thats good to hear Darren. It is much better when it all comes together.
    I thought it was pretty easy to work with as well and yea don't get it on anything Lol
    i got some on the on/off switch of the go pro and did not realise spent this afternoon removing it

Sea trials today and all good probably looked like I had a problem with the boat as every 5 min I was checking for leaks. All good

THANKS TOO ALL THOSE THAT CHIPED IN WITH ADVISE I APPRECIATED IT

CHEERS SCOTT

Good to hear. How was the performance in comparison to the transom mount?

the deepest I went today was 25m but was very impressed.
    could read bottom clearly at WOT. 39knts
    was reading baitfish and seeing fish at cruising speed 24knts even seen some at 30knts
    in General I was impressed with the performance I can now sound for fish at about 15-20knts and still locate them where with the tm150 I had to slow to 8-10knts just that bit more power makes a lot of difference. And a clearer picture at speed

Good result all round then.