Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thru hull install

Re: Thru hull install

Some Advice mate don't use the mounting rubbers they provide, just go flush. Just out of curiosity why did you go for bronze for and not plastic or SS.

hi michael what would be the reason not to use the mounting rubber they must put it in there for a reason could you explain please?

there is no other 600w chirp thru hull transducer on the market that i know off
    happy days ahead summer is coming

They don't make the tilted element transducers in plastic and stainless is really only required in alloy hulls. I think Michael may have been refering to the insulating ring that they provide for use with metal hulls. It will space the transducer further out from the hull. We would normally have nothing but the bronze flange outside on a fibreglass hull and use the washers only on the inside

so i should use the only washer they provided under the nut on the inside of the hull like i was going to???

JSM, I do these all the time.

Just use the washer on the inside of the hull, up against the hull and only sika the outside flange and between the washer and the hull. Do not sika the thread or you will have to remove it with a 4 " grinder
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    JSM, I do these all the time.

Just use the washer on the inside of the hull, up against the hull and only sika the outside flange and between the washer and the hull. Do not sika the thread or you will have to remove it with a 4 " grinder
    Or use the grinder to grind the tip of your favourite fillet knife into a chisel that is fine enough to get into the gap - grrrrrrrrr - I hate sika LOL. Just as Gary has posted. I did add a small amount of sika to the thread once it was done up just to act as thread locker

Ok guys thanks for all the advice I finished work early today just to put it in it started like this

Then i I sanded the area and used 3m 5200 as the sealant.
    i went with the tape method to hold it in place whilst I tightened it.
    i used the washer on the inside but did not put any Sicka on the inside will this make a difference? This is how it looks

All in all I think it went well

I would like like to know what this tool is called as this is what I used for tightening the nut made things easy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Scott,Where did you get the 5200 from?I was hunting around Friday for somewhere over this way... Getting ready to mount an M260 wet box. Nearest O could find was at Victoria Point. Most places (including those theta the AU wholesaler sells too) didn't even seem to know what I was talking about.

"and then I used 3M 5200". LOL, that puppy ain't never coming out. That sh*t is like sika on steroids. Looks good. The tool is an oil filter wrench.

[QUOTE=Darren J;1588377]Hi Scott,Where did you get the 5200 from?I was hunting around Friday for somewhere over this way...
    Hi mate I could not find any either so I got it sent from ch smith.
    i have half a tube if that's enough.your quiet welcome to it mate I'm home tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    "and then I used 3M 5200". LOL, that puppy ain't never coming out. That sh*t is like sika on steroids. Looks good. The tool is an oil filter wrench.
    Lol so I did not need Sicka on the inside then ha

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    Hi Scott,Where did you get the 5200 from?I was hunting around Friday for somewhere over this way... Getting ready to mount an M260 wet box. Nearest O could find was at Victoria Point. Most places (including those theta the AU wholesaler sells too) didn't even seem to know what I was talking about.
    Only place that might have some I can think of is Muirs at Manly. It's not the sort of thing that is easy to find

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Only place that might have some I can think of is Muirs at Manly. It's not the sort of thing that is easy to find
    I tried them Friday. Sam Allen Wholesale listed them as stockists, but they don't. Blackwoods will get it if you want a carton of 12....

I think a trip to Scotts (JSM) is in order!.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Hi mate I could not find any either so I got it sent from ch smith.
    i have half a tube if that's enough.your quiet welcome to it mate I'm home tomorrow
    Scott,
    Sounds good. A trip to your place tomorrow is in order and a contribution to your boat fund sounds fair. I will give you yell in the morning.

My understanding is the 5200 has a pretty limited shelf life once open, although i had heard if you seal it up and keep in the fridge it will extend a bit. Other than that I hear it is junk after a week. The stuff you have isn't the fast cure (sets in a day or so)? Otherwise the standard stuff I think is about 7 days to full strength.

Talks to you in the morning.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    Scott,
    Sounds good. A trip to your place tomorrow is in order and a contribution to your boat fund sounds fair. I will give you yell in the morning.

My understanding is the 5200 has a pretty limited shelf life once open, although i had heard if you seal it up and keep in the fridge it will extend a bit. Other than that I hear it is junk after a week. The stuff you have isn't the fast cure (sets in a day or so)? Otherwise the standard stuff I think is about 7 days to full strength.

Talks to you in the morning.
    Thanks.
    ... When you say tube, do you mean the little screw cap tube (88ml I think) or a cartridge?