Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses

Sunglasses

I'm looking at buying a new pair of sunnies for fishing after the last pair fell out of the boat.Is there that much of a difference between polycarbonate and glass lenses in the end result of viewing through both?Can the difference be seen even in the same brand eg ,spotters ,Tonics? Is the price difference worth it?

Re: Sunglasses

I find the polarising peels off even good quality poly lenses (but that might just be for my sweat)

I've heard differing reports on glass lenses

i would buy ones that float

The biggest differences between the two are weight and scratch resistance. Poly is lighter and thus more comfortable to wear but scratches easier

Too late on the floating bit

Glass is the way to go if you hard on them, maui Jim have been the best for me tried mako, spotters and some others nothing like the Maui Jims...
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

I'm using Spotters glass lenses now and I have had a couple of pair of Mako and seringetti as well Maui jims are a mate of mines choice . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I like the glass Spotters in the blue mirror. A great lens! I just bought a pair of plastic lens RayBans for driving my truck and wow, they are soooo light and comfortable to wear all day.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Hey Megabite your emails are full so can't resond to you private message, sorry to post this on this thread

I've had just about all of them I reckon.......Glass Vs Poly........I used to say Glass always but have changed to Poly about 5 years ago after buying some RayBans in Poly......Just as good as glass but heaps lighter....I have a new set of Maui Jims just recently and they are great and so light...

No issues with the RayBans but somehow I lost them.....so bought some Maui's as they had a near identical frame to my old RayBans...

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Seriously, Bunnings sells plenty of great designed AustNZ approved safety sunnies that are light weight, polarised and inexpensive in their Tool Shop section.

We were issued with some Mack polarised safety glasses at the last project I was on. Pretty much wear them any time I am outdoors now. I did have a pair of Spotters previous with glass lenses that copped an absolute battering over 10 years of continuous use.

I have been using some Barz optics ones. Cheap as chips and haven't scratched them yet. Also had a lens pop out at work and they replaced with minimal hassle. Would buy them again for sure

Hi bud. If you havent already bought a pair. I highly recommend having a look at Costa sunnies. If your willing to spend the money you can get glass lens ones for $300. These sunnies beat down spotters and mako's easily. I was a bit weary at first cos I hadn't heard of them. They are from America. The only reason I bought them was cos the salesman said they have the toughest lenses ever, pulled his pen out of his pocket and started stabbing them..... Put them on and not a scratch!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeyGecko View Post
    Hi bud. If you havent already bought a pair. I highly recommend having a look at Costa sunnies. If your willing to spend the money you can get glass lens ones for $300. These sunnies beat down spotters and mako's easily. I was a bit weary at first cos I hadn't heard of them. They are from America. The only reason I bought them was cos the salesman said they have the toughest lenses ever, pulled his pen out of his pocket and started stabbing them..... Put them on and not a scratch!!
    That's any glass lens, I have seen sales guys do that little selling point demo with pens/keys/fish hooks etc gets peoples attention especially if you have only had plastic lenses previously!