Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol mandate for fuels in Queensland

Re: Ethanol mandate for fuels in Queensland

Just do one of these when the time comes, if it does; http://pure-gas.org/

What could be some of the effects the Queensland Ethanol mandate will have on the boating fraternity? Will the reduction in ULP availability at some fuel outlets force the purchase of more expensive premium 95 or 98 unleaded petrol?
    I have read where the mandate will increase from 2% to 3% in 2017 to 4% in 2018. This mandate I believe, forces fuel outlets to meet minimum requirements for the sale of ethanol-blended regular unleaded petrol, that is, 2% of their fuel sales have to be biofuel based. On the Qld fuel mandate website, it states “Queensland motorists will still be able to choose the fuel that they wish to use in their engine”. Maybe at a higher price though!

Fuel without ethanol will likely be cheaper than without ethanol regardless of legislation. I just hope it isn't artificially so because of government meddling.

i would like to see them legislate that fuels with ethanol be clearly signed at bowsers and large fines implemented for adding ethanol to fuels that aren't identified as such either through intent or negligence.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I think more and more "blended" fuels are just a fact of life, almost anything made in the last 10 years or so will run perfectly OK with a high percentage of ethanol, we just need to get used to it.

What I find interesting is the misconception that ethanol fuel benefits the sugar industry.
    Guess who owns all the ethanol infrastructure down at Pinkenba? - Grainco.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think more and more "blended" fuels are just a fact of life, almost anything made in the last 10 years or so will run perfectly OK with a high percentage of ethanol, we just need to get used to it.
    There is a general belief by many boating groups that ethanol based fuel is "NOT RECOMMENDED" for marine use. I have seen fuel bowsers with this notice on them.
    While there are many stories about the benefits of bio fuels, there are quite a few negative ones as well. I for one, do not want to be forced to use a fuel where there is a higher risk of water absorption. Ethanol is hydroscopic. Ethanol's solvent qualities will also be detrimental to old fuel tanks and lines. The list goes on......

Not saying it is great, but just that it's a fact of life, you mention fuel lines and tanks, then "old" ....modern fuel lines and tanks are no problem at all, and by modern, probably less than 15 years old! Lots of products are hydroscopic, including brake fluid, but no one panics about that! it is less than ideal, but it's what we get when greenies and the like tell us what's good for us.

Ausfish Silver Member

if there is no 91ron and its 10% ethanol i will be using 95ron may cost me 15c a litre more, but i aint putting sugar in my brand new motor.. in days gone by sugar in a fuel tank was what people done to there enemies and we all know how a motor run with sugar in the tank.. i dont care what they say ill drink sugar in me rum but me motor aint getiin any in it..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    hydroscopic
    Hygroscopic,but don't feel bad, lot's of people make that mistake...
    Last edited by Crunchy; 30-11-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Doh

Brake fluid is in a sealed system Noelm but even so requires replacement periodically.
    Doesn't worry me as the GM donk diesels on anything under 95 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Hygroscopic,but don't feel bad, lot's of people make that mistake...
    Yep, I knew that, must have had a "moment" while typing.

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    Looks like time for boats to run on LPG
    Funny you mention that. I did a LOT of research a few years back about setting up to convert boats to LPG. Mainly large cruisers which had the capacity for LPG cylinders to be mounted on the foredeck and look like RFD's. Lots of hurdles and issues but it's certainly doable. I have a 25 Berty and I might look at converting this as a test case.

Lots, but don't feel bad, lots of people make that mistake.

Was at Costco yesterday, signs on their bowsers, they will only be selling E10 from 1 January, no real stuff. Looks like I wont be getting my fuel there for much longer.....

I recall reading an article that mentioned it takes more energy to make one liter of ethanol than the energy you get from burning that liter.

If that's the case, ethanol is not "green".