Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Long range trailer boat

Long range trailer boat

Hi all First post here.

I am hoping for some advice, to help choose a trailer boat ( secondhand) that is capable of making its way in safety and comfort to Cato reef and back (200 n/m). Departure from Hervey Bay.

Criteria until advised otherwise is

20 kn cruise
    40 lt per hr cruise - prefer less
    3 people
    Large fuel capacity (of course) + bladders
    28 ft max
    twin motors

I have a choice myself but I am curious what others would advise.

Re: Long range trailer boat

That's a big run in a trailer boat mate.
    i will be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers Rob.

How much are you looking at spending? There were a couple of boats on here that did those kind of kms a couple of weeks back, both have 4 stroke outboards, one is a 7m plus plate, the other 7m plus fiberglass cat! 200n/m equals 360 km, the cat did approx 500 km! Big trip but possible in right conditions and fuel load/burn!

Up here (Cooktown) I fish with a mate with an 8ish metre plate aluminium hull of no known brand. Mate bought it second hand from a fella down Harvey way. It could have been custom built or home built. It lives on a triple axle trailer and is therefor technically a trailer boat. Fully loaded it would end up way over 4T so not a legal trailerboat if you know what I mean!

-Boat runs a Volvo 4ADP engine and Duoprop sterndrive. It has two 300L fuel tanks which gives it long legs. 150L of water.
    -Front double bunk and large cabin layout. Has a small built in fridge, but on long range trips we carry and extra engel or two.
    -Solar panels on roof and three house batteries keeps the beer cold.
    -Importantly a 6 person liferaft with hydro release also lives on the roof of the cabin.
    -Cruise is 18-19kn loaded, but we would normally tow a 5m glass dory which knocks cruise down to 17kn.
    -Burns about 1.5 - 2.0 L/nm at cruise.

Now despite only a single screw we have done many long range trips 100-150nm up the coast and also one trip out to Osprey/ Shark Reef 110nm out in the blue.
    That trip dod co-incide with knowing that another 50ft Cooktown boat would be heading out and back at same time so a bit of safety there but in the week at Osprey we would have seen 5-7 dive boats so even out in the blue you are not necessarily alone!!!

I would say froma trip out to Cato, definitely invest in a certified liferaft.
    You will need a satphone for comms safety.

Be sure of your vessel and your vessels fuel burn. Test it is some horrible strong wind warning rubbish before heading off.
    We have been caught in nasty summer storms with green going over the cabin flooding the dancefloor, marlin door busting open, dory busting its tow line kinda of weather and not once felt unsafe in the bluefire, it just keeps it head high and chugs. I cant emphasize enought knowing you boat knowing how to prime the fuel system, knowing how to change the impellor, knowing the electronics etc etc

Most of all have a blast

s

Quote Originally Posted by Cods Whallup View Post
    How much are you looking at spending? There were a couple of boats on here that did those kind of kms a couple of weeks back, both have 4 stroke outboards, one is a 7m plus plate, the other 7m plus fiberglass cat! 200n/m equals 360 km, the cat did approx 500 km! Big trip but possible in right conditions and fuel load/burn!
    Cato is 200nm each way.

This is a touch over 28ft, but should give you the range with fuel.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...GIN-Axis-10000

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Cato is 200nm each way.
    Lol, 720kms is a little different!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cods Whallup View Post

Hoping to keep the investment sub $100k in raft / sat phone etc

Quote Originally Posted by swallin View Post
    U

Be sure of your vessel and your vessels fuel burn. Test it is some horrible strong wind warning rubbish before heading off.
    We have been caught in nasty summer storms with green going over the cabin flooding the dancefloor, marlin door busting open, dory busting its tow line kinda of weather and not once felt unsafe in the bluefire, it just keeps it head high and chugs. I cant emphasize enought knowing you boat knowing how to prime the fuel system, knowing how to change the impellor, knowing the electronics etc etc

Most of all have a blast

s

Great advice Thanks !

That's a long run in an outboard powered vessel. I would be looking at a diesel inboard for that sort of trip and $100K won't get you too far in those rigs. Bladders and outboards might work but you will be pushing the equation
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Have a look at http://www.chamberlinmarine.com.au/i...idbrochure.pdf I would like to hear from anyone who has built one.

Quote Originally Posted by No Tiller View Post
    Have a look at http://www.chamberlinmarine.com.au/i...idbrochure.pdf I would like to hear from anyone who has built one.
    Thats an interesting boat. No problems with economy thats for sure.

I have had a displacement catamaran before. Great boat excepting inclined to plunge due to such fine hull, if sub 20 knots

I'm all for adventure, but I reckon Cato in a trailer boat is a bit crazy! Personally I I would be looking to arrange 2 or 3 other like minded trailer boat owners, then charter a mothership for safety and convenience.
    Keep us in the loop of how it all pans out!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Yes sounds a bit mad, but sailing boats venture much further afield and they are at the mercy of the wind. Hoping a capable boat driven sensibly will provide a safe (as it can be)adventure.
    Its only 10-12 hrs steaming if the weather obliges

Interesting link below for those interested in wind
    Its most likely been seen here before, but just in case

https://www.windyty.com/?-20.982,164.839,6

It's a big shopping list you have there with not too much of a budget to be honest. Things to add would be independent fuel tanks for the motors with the capability to transfer fuel if required and some way to receive weather forecasts/communicate be it HF radio or satellite phone or both.