Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Long range trailer boat

Re: Long range trailer boat

Hey Nick - Its an open boat, as pictured.Self draining and foam filled.
    Not perfect for open sea trips, but i have other plans that the layout suits

$220K for twin Etecs! Tell him he is dreaming!

I am looking at motors to re-power now. Max hp rating is 2 x150 but I am seriously considering 2 x 115 CT Mercurys's.
    I am hoping that they will give me a 20 knot cruise at 4000 rpm
    Lightweight, should allow me to carry more fuel. Lower cost wont hurt either

Still have to get the boat safely here from Florida.
    I will be selling my 20ft runabout cheap to help fund also

Boat is cleaned and ready to be shipped.

Glacier Bay 2640 arrives in 45 days.
    It will owe $45k once it arrives. Plan is to sell the Yamaha 066x outboards and the trailer, this will help fund the purchase of new outboards. It will be interesting to see if i can keep under the $100K cap and actually make it to Cato reef and more importantly back.

I will do a couple of exploratory trips past fraser to test the water- literally !

wow thats cheep what year is the hull?? who are you shipping with?? $45K wouldnt cover the price of a 2270 isle runner let alone shipping ....i just got a survey done and about to import a very clean 2270 isle runner .. then the au dollar went to shit the week i had to pay the money by the time the au went up a bit someone had a deposit on the boat and it was sold
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Quote Originally Posted by outta line View Post
    wow thats cheep what year is the hull?? who are you shipping with?? $45K wouldnt cover the price of a 2270 isle runner let alone shipping ....i just got a survey done and about to import a very clean 2270 isle runner .. then the au dollar went to shit the week i had to pay the money by the time the au went up a bit someone had a deposit on the boat and it was sold
    The hull is 2000
    Shipping with Portsea Marine. Could have shipped cheaper but something smelled bad.
    My brother has a 26 isle runner. I am quite keen on Seacat5 Sl also. Underated and virtually unknown here

So this wont be going to Cato? Smart move. Can be a long wait out there in weather even in the ideal set up.

Quote Originally Posted by dww13 View Post
    So this wont be going to Cato? Smart move. Can be a long wait out there in weather even in the ideal set up.
    No, still planning on Cato. Taking 3 hot chickens, so should be ok for food.
    Also like Sashimi, if the weather takes a turn.

prob wont need the chickens if the wind does get up, just grab a bird as its blown from the weather station.

I think your figures of 20 knots at 4000 rpm are a tad under estimated Maybe 4600 rpm... I have a isle runner with 140s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    I think your figures of 20 knots at 4000 rpm are a tad under estimated Maybe 4600 rpm... I have a isle runner with 140s

Thanks baitable. Real world data like this is really helpful

What size props are you using ?
    Do you know what fuel consumption is at 4600 rpm?
    My info says 52 lt / hr at 4500. This would be lightship also.
    If you can believe performance bulletins, this should deliver 24 knots though

http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/...n%20DF140.ashx

In your opinion would I be better of with 150's ?

Any other info / opinions from Glacier Bay owners - past and present would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by dww13 View Post
    prob wont need the chickens if the wind does get up, just grab a bird as its blown from the weather station.
    Haha, sound like you have had some "interesting" weather situations out there.

What sort of boat were you on? I would love to hear of your experiences.

I have engaged the service of a weather dude in NZ "MetBob" to choose a weather window for us.
    http://www.metbob.com/services/default.html

From my real world data; 3 pob, full gear and fuel, calm conditions avg 10knts ish of wind, boat speed approx 42km/h cruise sitting on 47xx rpm I'm burning approx 1.1 l/km. best and most conservative fuel to km seems to be between 33-36km/h. Donks are new 140s (counter rotating) not quite broken in with factory stainless props. I'll have to repost figures on my next trip but I would allow 400kms range out of my 476l tank

Go the 150s for sure!