Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Tilapia

Re: Question on Tilapia

A fresh water creek in kallangur had hand size talapia in it the day before this rain They were in the little creek on duffield road near winter street. My guess they would now be in Hayes inlet. I nearly fell over when I saw them swimming around.

Fisheries Qld claim they are only in 1 3rd of all Queensland waterways... I would suggest that tilapia are in all of the waterways possibly inhabited by tilapia... I think most of the northern waterways are safe with barramundi as a predator and anything south of the goldy too cold through winter.... I challenge anyone to name a waterway south of maryborough not inhabited by tilapia?

People by Basa. Basically sounds better than Mekong River Catfish. It tastes like cr@p but it's cheap and people buy it.

The war is over trying to stop Tillies

They need to be put onto the take list.

I actually believe in my life time we will actually see them become a target comp fish like bass n bream.
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Fisheries Qld claim they are only in 1 3rd of all Queensland waterways... I would suggest that tilapia are in all of the waterways possibly inhabited by tilapia... I think most of the northern waterways are safe with barramundi as a predator and anything south of the goldy to cold through winter.... I challenge anyone to name a waterway south of mart borough not inhabited by tilapia?
    Dumeresq, maybe Condomine. Lake Borumba I think.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

too cold Dale.

and also with Murray Cod they have a predator.

Axl
    If you dig further into the legislation in NSW you will find that Tilapia are anly listed as noxious if they are Live. This allows wholesalers in that state to import and trade in this product thus creating the problem we have with the mutual recognition act.
    Cheers Steve

So it's not a conspiracy Steve?
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by Brooksy View Post
    Axl
    If you dig further into the legislation in NSW you will find that Tilapia are anly listed as noxious if they are Live. This allows wholesalers in that state to import and trade in this product thus creating the problem we have with the mutual recognition act.
    Cheers Steve
    Thanks Brooksy I wasn't aware of that and now it all makes a little bit more sense as to why they are in the display cabinets, whilst I can’t understand it I see now how it has happened.
    Cheers Axl

Dale no conspiracy, but the mutual recognition act does make our job a lot more difficult.
    Steve

G'day guys, if anyone wants to chase them on the sunny Coast, the canal above the loch in pelican waters is alive with them and some are huge!!!!! I contacted the fisheries about them about 18 months ago and they didn't seem interested. I am sure they would be good fun in shallow water

Lee
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh