Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Motor won't turn after overhaul

Re: Motor won't turn after overhaul

The timing was not touched......one head was removed on a pushrod engine, well, that's the way I read it.

Hi Noelm,
    Yes, you may be correct.
    I'm thinking overhead cams for some strange reason .
    Forgot about those engines, now that I think back many moons ago, yes I had those motors in my Torana & XY Falcon .
    Hmmm definitely a strange one then.

I'am thinking water or moisture in 1 or 2 cylinders and why were the manifolds changed , were they about to leak or were they leaking.
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Still kind of thinking, somehow, somewhere, the missing piece of spark plug is now stuck somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_S View Post
    I'am thinking water or moisture in 1 or 2 cylinders and why were the manifolds changed , were they about to leak or were they leaking.
    Agree, I'm thinking that some moisture or water has entered the bores causing the rings to stick.
    How long was the head off before it was refitted?

So what was the outcome here then?

Quote Originally Posted by fisho64 View Post
    So what was the outcome here then?
    Good luck with that the dog ate his homework.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Apologies for not wrapping up this post but I lost my 96 year old mum in the midst of this saga so priorities kind of went out the window!

OK, when my "grubby" pulled the motor apart he found a very small crack in the cylindet head and when combined with some rust that had formed in the adjacent bore it was enough to virtually cease the motor.

i didn't see the motor after he stripped it down but with it being 20 years it needed a rebuild anyway due a couple of badly corroded welsh plugs and just general wear and tear.

He believes that the boat sitting out of the water for about eight weeks while I was messing about with it and my mums loss contributed to this piston locking up.

I guess the only good news was that all the work I did in disassembling it and replacing manifolds, risers etc it wasn't my "amateurish work" that caused the problem as kindly suggested by some guy in the forum.

Anyhow, all rebuilt for around five grand, leg is in good shape and I spent weeks cleaning, scratching, derusting and painting every nut, bolt, bracket and accessory off the entire motor. Came up very well and she fired up like a new motor.

Thanks to all the sensible guys who tried to assist with this problem. Much appreciated.

Condolences on the loss of your mother and thanks for the update.
    Cheers
    Ray

Sorry to hear about your mum.
    It can be the smallest things that stop a motor!
    Pulled a diesel truck motor down once over christmas because it had weeping from the head gasket fro a couple of months. Found half the pistons had honking great cracks in them and the sleeves were shagged. Went from a simple days job to a major rebuild!

small crack in the head caused it ??? you could have a crack the size of the san andres fault in the head and it would still turn over....user error ...