Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FG Knot

Re: FG Knot

As a kid i was was taught to use the blood knot.
    One of my fishing mates taught me the centauri knot. Use it for hooks and line joins.
    With a set of scales we found the line busted below stated line strength with the blood knot - above the stated line strength with the centauri.
    Seems to work OK with braid or braid nylon joins.
    easy to do in the dark make the loops big and you can do it by feel.
    all of the above tried up to 40 lb line strength, dunno if it still applies above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    It really relies on that crossover biting into the main line.[/Q mate are you tying it back the front as the main line is meant to bite into the leader just checking mate
    Sorry man, I didn't see this question. I did write that wrong.

Yes, I have the braid (main line) biting into the flouro (leader).

So I should have said the crossover biting into the heavy line (leader)

Free Membership

By far the easiest and best method in my opinion is this. You watch the FG knot video that Nomad charters put out. BUT.... stop viewing at 1:45. Up until 1:45 shows you the easiest method to loop the line. Then you just do 2 hitches over the braid and mono and another 2 hitches over the braid on its own. And I dont bother about doing 30 loops. waste of time in my opinion. 10 (5 each) way is all you need. Follow this and you can do it very quickly. I am get to break this knot on a fishing. biggest GT so far 27kg.

I'm finding this knot a little difficult , I'm tying 5kg leader onto 3 kg braid, instead of wrapping around evenly it seems to end up in a bunch..

Mate I put the rod in a holder to keep the braid but just as importantly I put my foot on the leader spool so it is tight, holding it loose will probably cause your issue. The first couple of turns you do need to pinch the knot to stop it rolling over after that it will go well.

G'day
    Yeah I like this knot and been using it for tuna the last 3 seasons. I have only tied them in the shed and similar to others attach the end of the braid to something (a vice in my case) and put the rod in a rod holder and have it fairly tight but with the rod tip able to flex.

Anyone know why it's called and FG knot? Is it because it's very good
    Cheers
    Rod

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I'm finding this knot a little difficult , I'm tying 5kg leader onto 3 kg braid, instead of wrapping around evenly it seems to end up in a bunch..

Do it like the method Mangajack posted in the youtube vid and you shouldnt have that problem

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    G'day
    Yeah I like this knot and been using it for tuna the last 3 seasons. I have only tied them in the shed and similar to others attach the end of the braid to something (a vice in my case) and put the rod in a rod holder and have it fairly tight but with the rod tip able to flex.

Anyone know why it's called and FG knot? Is it because it's very good
    Cheers
    Rod
    It does have a couple of other names that I've seen e.g. Sebille but it generally stands for Flaming Good Knot, although another F word is more commonly used.

Haha that's what I was thinking dignity :-)
    I sorta did my own variation at the time but turns out it was the same as in this video.

Cheers
    Rod

This is by far the easiest method of tying an FG knot that I have come across. No need to for contortion or trying to keep lines tight.

I'm with you mate I tie this on the boat in 1 min it's very easy
    happy days ahead summer is coming