Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FG Knot

FG Knot

An Australian Fishing knot, the FG Knot is designed for tying braided main line to mono leader.
    Use the , play, pause and slide bar controls to control the speed of the video to suit your needs

Re: FG Knot

Watching the video above, it still looks very complicated seeing hands/fingers going everywhere, I find it hard to remember.

For a long time I tried connecting brain to leader with all different knot options, nothing but failure under locked drag.

FG knot always interests me since hearing nothing but good feedback over the net, downside is awkward as per the video above.

Doing my research come across below video, easier to tie and remember, will be testing coming weeks.
    Also the result is smaller in thickness

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    Watching the video above, it still looks very complicated seeing hands/fingers going everywhere, I find it hard to remember.

For a long time I tried connecting brain to leader with all different knot options, nothing but failure under locked drag.

FG knot always interests me since hearing nothing but good feedback over the net, downside is awkward as per the video above.

Doing my research come across below video, easier to tie and remember, will be testing coming weeks.
    Also the result is smaller in thickness

Just keep practising, it gets easier each time. I just remember it as:
    8 loops then tighten
    4 loops then tighten
    4 loops then tighten (again)
    4 half hitch (both lines)
    2 half hitch (leader)
    2 half hitch (braid)

I can do it fairly quickly now.

This is how I do it, really is a no brainer knot that I don't watch when tying anymore......very simple procedure.
    Jack.

For those who need more gadgets

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/19086/
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Saw the video above and thought this frugal old fart should be able to come up with something similar.
    Haven't got an official name for it yet, but, The Old Farts Nicky Knacker Knotter sounded OK.
    It's made out of polycarb and works a treat. Was a bit concerned when the line was clamped it might get damaged but to date all has worked out good. It can be screwed to the bench or just sit it on your knee.
    Works good for the Albright knot also.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gon Fishun; 31-05-2015 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Add on

ill have one of them knocked up by the end of the day....

Most reliable knot will never go back...

I caught my biggest ever jack recently on my first ever tied fg knot with a locked drag on 30 pound braid.
    After i landed the fish the knot fell apart on its own and i was left with a leader not connected anymore. KNOT sure what happened but i was lucky
    I've gone back to albrights.

sent from the beerhunter

Obviously didnt lock your hitches at the end properly I would say.
    I use a variant for the final lock......5 turn snood of the tag over the braid......havent had one come undone yet in two yrs and several thousand knots.
    Jack.

Thanks mate i think I'll have another go its such a small knot to go through the guides its a great knot. It was my first so I'll try again but it was good luck for me with that jack . Cheers

sent from the beerhunter

My favourite knot too! -- I do them the way the guy in post #2 does. Have given it a hammering and they don't come undone
    They go through the guides smooooooooooth as.

Just make sure you pull it down tight when your half way through doing the cross overs...but yep a knot im loving atm..

I use th fg knot regularly. My only concern with it is the fact that you can sometimes 'slide' the main line out through the knot (by holding the knot itself) even though if you pull hard on the line and the leader it won't come apart.

It really relies on that crossover biting into the main line.

It really relies on that crossover biting into the main line.[/Q mate are you tying it back the front as the main line is meant to bite into the leader just checking mate
    happy days ahead summer is coming