Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Long haul

Long haul

The weather was looking good for the weekend to do an over nighter of 1770 so i sent out a message to a few of the guys that i have promised a trip to over the last year or so. In the end I was able to rustle up George, Gav (Hookinin) & Dick (Dick Tracey) for the voyage. the boys were keen and didnt mind doing a few k's so i headed south to the northern end of the break sea keen to find some ground and start hitting the deeper water. Something I've wanted to do for some time now but with the boat not going as well as I would of liked Ive been unable too.

We headed up to 1770 on Thursday night after work with a pretty good run other than getting a bird stuck in my F350's grill. We smashed a few beers until about 12.30am before hitting the sack for a 5am start (never again!!!!!!!!!...DICK). After fuelling up on Friday morning and heading down to the break sea we arrived at about 9am. On arrival we went over a small lump and with Gavin's first drop resulted in a 8kg red and the other boys caught a few mixed reef. Not wanting to waste time we headed out wide and fished the 250 mtr line with a few flames caught and pearlies. The fishing was slow so we headed nth towards Elliott marking some ground for future trips but as the late afternoon came closer we only had a few fish in the box. I was feeling a little guilty for the guys although they didn't mind and were having a god time and decided to take the boys nth back to Fitzroy for the night. It was another long haul but in good conditions and company it went quick and before we new it we were in Fitzroy lagoon knocking back a box of coldies and having a great feed and sleep.

The following morning with limited fuel we headed nth of Sykes and fished around the area and caught a feed. it was slow going and to be honest we weren't really prepared as i had planned to do the deep dropping for the trip and not anything but. As it turned out we caught another half a dozen reds and found some good areas for next time.

Back at the ramp we met Greg & Terry Lampetch & Foxy. Really nice guys and I can see why these fellas have such a good reputation. Those guys must go hard as they looked rooted. Sorry fellas if I seemed short I was still dizzy from driving my boat around qld..

Total distance traveled by boat was a little over 450k's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! total fishing time approx 10hrs........WTF was I thinking...

Funny thing is Im going back down there next trip... 1 way ticket this time..lol

Big thanks to Gav, Dick and George. Fellas it's guys like you that make these sort of trips so special. I can honestly say i had a better time this trip although we spent the whole time trying to run out of fuel than others where we have quadrupled the catch. I know we didn't have much fishing time over the two days but i had a great time over all including the drive up and back. Cheers fellas much appreciated and look forward to doing it again.

I would like to note to anyone taking DickTreacy fish is DO NOT GIVE HIM A KNIFE TO CUT YOUR LINE!!!!!!!! when hooked up to a shark.... There's nothing quite like winding in 150 kgs of shark for 10 minutes to then watch someone stab that shark in the eye with a knife and forget to cut your line.... end result another 5 minutes winding to only watch him do it again.....WTF

PS.... Gav can you please move closer to the freeway and buy a block with less contours.

Cod Wallup.. Andrew... Your next champ!!

Cheers

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00851.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	108501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00837.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	108502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00849.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	108503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00862.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	108504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00868.jpg 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	108505  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00885.jpg 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	108506  

Re: Long haul

Nice haul Keithstar.....
    Another monster cod.
    Don't know about the km's tho.
    Sounds like you did 350kms in one day LOL
    What were you thinking

Well done bannnannna
    Looks like a crackin trip to me. Did George punch that big cod dick is holding up.

Very nice catch again Keith.
    There seems to be a lot of water down that way with very little ground on it but there has to be some somewhere.
    I was hoping to see some of those big brown things laying on your deck though.

Ripper mate. Haha dunno about a one way ticket next trip. I think id like to get back home lol.

What type of electric is that mate? Looks the same as mine.

Those flames look like they would be nice on the table great effort with such short fishing time.
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Some cracking fish there Bannana, cheers for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    Well done bannnannna
    Looks like a crackin trip to me. Did George punch that big cod dick is holding up.
    Bull George shaped up when it hit the deck and i thought WTF? all jokes aside it was a great trip keith i had a ball mate. In the words of Slim Dusty The last thing left to learn is when they nail the lid down,this trip proved just that! your willingness to share knowledge makes you stand out amongst others mate.The offer to wind my shark up after i protected you from that man eater armed only with a blunt bait knife, while appreciated it was loaded with reprocussions not worth the risk Great meeting Rowdy and George, I don't know why i get the blame for leading you astray fri night lol.
    Thanks again mate
    Talk soon
    Dicktracey

Thanks again for a great trip, fishing and company. I learnt allot from someone that knows more than he gives himself credit for. The more I tell others of the trip the more I realize the just how many things I picked up.

Mate I would get highway noise if I was any closer. 2 turns and 1.5kms from a exit and as for less contours....

As for Dick the shark line cutter...... the words charter boat what charter boat come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Nice haul Keithstar.....
    Another monster cod.
    Don't know about the km's tho.
    Sounds like you did 350kms in one day LOL
    What were you thinking
    she was a long haul that's for sure. Lucky it was only 5 knotts of wind. Don't know what I was thinking but will do it again soon but stay down there this time and may fish the night....

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    Well done bannnannna
    no mate he didn't punch this one thank god.. We did all laugh when I told them the story of he last one he punch thou... Funny hey..

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    Very nice catch again Keith.
    There seems to be a lot of water down that way with very little ground on it but there has to be some somewhere.
    I was hoping to see some of those big brown things laying on your deck though.
    mate there's plenty of ground. I had 30mtr shows with solid fish mixed in but they just weren't chewing. I should of stayed but opted for a comfortable anchor up, beer and feed. Bad call.... Should of stayed. Didnt target any Barrie's but they are there that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpo92 View Post
    Ripper mate. Haha dunno about a one way ticket next trip. I think id like to get back home lol.

What type of electric is that mate? Looks the same as mine.
    mate we used myia epic command 9's & mega twin 1000's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicktracey View Post
    Bull George shaped up when it hit the deck and i thought WTF? all jokes aside it was a great trip keith i had a ball mate. In the words of Slim Dusty The last thing left to learn is when they nail the lid down,this trip proved just that! your willingness to share knowledge makes you stand out amongst others mate.The offer to wind my shark up after i protected you from that man eater armed only with a blunt bait knife, while appreciated it was loaded with reprocussions not worth the risk Great meeting Rowdy and George, I don't know why i get the blame for leading you astray fri night lol.
    Thanks again mate
    Talk soon
    Dicktracey
    your welcome Dick.

yourself and Gav just proved yet again that taking out fellas who I barley know out is more than worth while. You guys had two polar opposite personalities yet both top fellas who just loved fishing and most importantly getting away and having a good time. I learnt plenty from you guys that's for sure not least of all but mate that little 12v oven was sensational. Watching how you guys fished and how you used that broom stick was most enjoyable😜

Blog Entries

Top report as usual Keith

Conditions looked pretty damn good.

Looking fwd to the next report