Thread: Schoolie Macs Moreton

Schoolie Macs Moreton

I decided to do a solo mac attack on Anzac Day and departed Raby Bay just on sunrise .
    Did a very casual run across the paddock over to the inside of Moreton Island and found the conditions were as good as they get, with a smooth trip all the way over.
    With a bit of luck on my side , I found a healthy patch of fish and bait straight away and proceeded to pull a nice little feed.
    Then went for a bit of an explore and marked off some new potential ground for next time.
    By then it was getting on lunch time, so blasted home with a mate that I met over there , on a sea that resembled a sheet of glass .
    Had the boat and fish all cleaned in time to catch an Anzac Service and the lads game at a local soccer club that evening .
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g2s.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	108498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1s.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	108499  
    Last edited by BeastMaster; 26-04-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add photos
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Re: Schoolie Macs Moreton

Nice report there mate thanks for that. Did you get them all on bait, what do you use and do you ever use slugs or plastics for the macs.

Mark

good report, nice to see someone that knows how to ice their fish down properly
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Hi Copie ,those schoolies were all caught on the humble WA pilchard.Yes at times I use slugs to target them but not this time, have caught them on plastics but only as by catch.
    Thanks Rainbow Runner , yes cold goes down , important to keep the gut cavity as cold as possible - particularly important for those schoolie mackerel, if you get them nice and cold the fillets come off real easy and are always a quality product.
    Regards
    BeastMaster
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Who does your son play for?

Hi Zippidy - He's a South's United stalwart , he's played for them for 15 years now.
    Regards
    BeastMaster
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Nice work mate, can you please explain the correct icing of the fish..(Does this only relate to the macks??) Didn't know there was right/wrong way to do it! Thanks heaps.

Cheers
    Bemro

The best way to keep fish like mackerel is first to dong them on the head, bleed them, then wash them clean, then straight into an esky with crushed ice and add some salt water to make a thick slurry. If you want to be really fussy, gill and gut them before they go into the ice.

This really chills them down fast and in fact, using the salt water, it gets far colder than just the ice itself would be. This is what most of the pro fishermen do to keep their fish top quality.

We do this with pretty well all fish, from whiting to reefies. The added step with reefies in recent years has been ikijimi, which is to brain spike them, then bleed, then into the slurry. I definitely notice the difference. You can tell if an occasional ever gets into the esky without being done, the flesh is not nearly as white and firm.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Hi Bremo , I find all fish are best bled on capture , that way you always get white firm flesh. A stressed fish's flesh will develop a soft texture via enzymes they release whilst stressing plus any flapping obviously bruises them. I recon the best way to stop them stressing is to dismiss them asap.I dont really like the idea of adding salt water and having them able to slosh around in a slush on sometimes long and bumpy trips home , not good for soft fish like mackerel. I recon layer of straight ice , lay your fish straight and belly down , layer of ice , layer of fish , layer of ice. Ie pack em tight so they dont move .Cracking your esky bung so than water drains out also helps. I never gut or scale my fish - too much like hard work , I just fillet / skin them the same afternoon or early the next morning.Pro fishermen obviously gut their catch to extend the shelf live , as the gut is the first thing that starts going off, thats why I pack them gut down , the bottom of the esky is the coldest part . Maybe there's a pro fishermen out there willing to share tricks in keeping your catch as fresh as possible and reasoning behind it.
    Regards
    Beastmaster
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Thanks guys, I always bleed my catch, but the other tips are much appreciated..All I have to do now is catch some fish😁

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    Hi Zippidy - He's a South's United stalwart , he's played for them for 15 years now.
    Regards
    BeastMaster

Hmm, they've got their new field there now - looks awesome.

Good start to the season for them too!