Thread: Peter Fraust Dam Camping Info Required

Peter Fraust Dam Camping Info Required

Hi,

Going to do a road trip up to Hinchinbrook in about a weeks time. I now Hinchinbrook pretty well and will camp on the Island so all good there. I

have just saw on Fishing edge with Lee fishing at Peter Fraust dam which looked pretty good so thinking of dropping in there on the way back through back to Brisbane. I did see on his show there was some camping right on the dam however doing a Google search I cant find anything just a camp site about 2 Klms away called Kanga. Does anyone know what the camp site on the dam is called.

Thanks

Goona

Re: Peter Fraust Dam Camping Info Required

Goona the spot is called Camp Kanga, see attached link below.

http://www.campkanga.com.au/

The accommodation is a little rough but it has everything you need and is close to the dam. I have also stayed at in the cabins at the caravan park in Proserpine which are more comfortable but the added drive and the fact that you don't get to talk to any where near as many fellow fisherman makes Camp Kanga the pick for me.

https://www.caravanqld.com.au/parks/...x?park_id=1672

As far as I can recall Camp Kanga is the closest public camping area to the Faust.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Thanks Boys,

The camp that was on Lee Rayners fishing edge looked like it was only 100m from the Dam edge. They kept mentioning it during the episode saying how close to the camp ground it was. From what I am reading Camp Kanga is 1klm away. Is there a new one that may have gone in closer to the dam?

Cheers Goona

I think they were fishing Kinchant in that episode, not Faust.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Thanks Dale. I will have to look at that one as well

Hi Goona.

Camp Kanga is the closest camping area to the dam. There is no camping allowed along the dam foreshores at all, and the area is occasionally patrolled at night. I have seen backpacker vehicles park in the area near the toilet block of a night time, and they usually move on as soon as it gets light. Have also seen people spend a couple of days there, fishing and camping rough in their boats. It seems a popular way to go for the locals concentrating on getting a feed of redclaw.

Camp Kanga is fairly basic accommodation. The cabins usually have 3 single bunks and a small bar fridge in them as well as a single overhead fan. Last time we stayed there, it cost $40 per night for 2 people in a cabin, and an additional $20 per night for the 3rd person. The camp ground is run by the local Lions Club, and is primarily set up for school camps, and has a policy whereby when a school books any portion of the camp, they close it to all other campers. It would pay to contact them beforehand to ensure that the campground is available for anglers to camp in during the time you are intending to visit. If it is closed, then you are pretty much stuck with staying at the caravan park in town, or taking the risk of camping rough.

The dam fishes very well during the warmer months, but I cant give any info on how it would fish at this time of the year. We usually try to spend a week or so there each year in either October, November or December and have rarely missed on catching some very nice fish (all released), with our best to date going 130cms and estimated at close to 35kg in weight. It does at times take a fair bit of swimming to get some of the bigger fish to swim away after capture.

Hope you do get the chance to have a fish there. It is a great spot to visit.

cheers

Jeff

Awesome report thanks Jeff. I am leaving tomorrow and will have a go there on the way back from Hinchinbrook. A very big thank you for the detailed info

Regards Goona