Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Inflatable for Tender

Which Inflatable for Tender

Hi Guys & Girls

Looking at buying an inflatable and outboard for my other boat (39 foot cruiser - twin screw and shaft drive) so I can moor/anchor and get to shore.

I have no experience with these so I'm all ears as to any recommendations. It would stay on the rear swim platform so housing it is not an issue. I was thinking around the 3 metre size but again open to any suggestions as to size and brand.

Also hp size of outboard? I was thinking 6hp so the missus could use it at times without having to get an RST - thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Re: Which Inflatable for Tender

an inflatable with solid bottom?
    that's what the father in law uses for his sail boat, worked well for us in the past.

Think about what the tender use is going to be. ie if your only going to and from the shore cosider a smaller outboard setup a 6 is a bit of a waiste if your not doing a decent run.

have a look at the Brigg, they seem to be a decent tender with a 2hp
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Think about what the tender use is going to be. ie if your only going to and from the shore cosider a smaller outboard setup a 6 is a bit of a waiste if your not doing a decent run.
    Not to mention surprisingly heavy when you are trying to manhandle it leaning over the duckboard.

I hear you - but is 2 hp OK factoring in any tide/current/wind?

Even a 4hp is usually a fair bit lighter than the 6 and will definitely have enough poke if you are worried about it. Just take a good look at the weight of whatever you choose remembering that lifting it in the showroom is nothing remotely close to the real world situation - doesn't matter what the Hp is - none of them float unassisted when dropped. Either that or look at some sort of crane for the back of the big boat.

Thanks for the comments fella's - pointed me in the right direction.

2 stroke or 4 stroke?

That one really will be a personal choice. Arguments for both exist - weight, price, noise, fumes, storage requirements, amount of use, other use (trolling for flatties etc), relationship with service agent etc.

I bought one of the cheaper priced imported inflatables and always had problems with a small leak. Next time I would buy a better known brand. Also the clip in bench seat that ran from side-to-side snapped in half. The salesman suggested that I personally was a bit too cuddly (heavy) and patted me on the stomach. I could not argue with that.
    With engines, the 2hp Honda and the 3hp Yammy (2 Stroke) were my favourite small engines.
    On our flybridge cruiser I powered our tender with a 50lb Minn Kota which was light and heaps of fun. Especially travelling in the shallows and river banks where the small fish and crabs do not hear you coming. Or bigger fish, too.
    Easily carried one handed to the tender. Two alligator clips onto a battery and you are away. No petrol, no choke, no noise, so smoke.
    The downside of the electric is that you are always worried about the battery going flat. But that is up to your own organisation. 2 batteries, and a charger on the mothership would be sufficient.

My parents do a lot of boating from a similar size vessel to yours and have long ago given up small outboards and inflatables. They have a 3.6m alum boat wih a 15hp outboard. And they can travel quickly which increases their range for crabbing or digging yabbies (or collecting grandkids from a marina). Or just getting back to the big boat quickly when the weather is bad.

With regards to 2s or 4s, my humble opinion is that you should buy the cheaper and lighter 2 stroke, along with an electric motor, for less than you might pay for a 4 stroke. That way you get the features and safety and fun of 2 engines.
    That's just my suggestion. Not going into any debate.
    Cheers.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

The idea of a ali boat is appealing but the problem of storage when underway requires more thought as i was intending the store the inflatable on its side off the rear U bar.

Don't discount the new polycraft tuff tender either - not quite as dangerous to the big boat as a tinny

The 2.3 HP Honda is air cooled, hence no water pump to fail on you, less maintenance required than a 2 stroke.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Polycraft is the way to go . Speaking from experience ,do not buy an inflatable that is made of PVC . Hypalon is the only way to go if you dont want the thing falling apart on you. They arent cheap hence the poly boat as a better alternative . The cheaper PVC ones will fall apart if exposed to hot sun and heat . Most are held together with a contact adhesive . My wife has a boat license ,they are not hard to get and she may enjoy the course . Also allows you to have a few beers if she drives .

We put a polycraft tuff tender on our cruiser when the inflatable that came with it had one side of the transom come unglued - with me, the missus and daughter in it - about 750m away from the boat. She who must be obeyed not so keen on rubber ducks after that.

Poly is heavier (~85kg) - but you can't sink it. We put eye-bolts as winching points on four places so modding to suit your davit requirements was easy.

Beach it on sand, gravel or coral beaches... bash it into rocks/pontoons/mangrove trees... drop a knife/a pointy fin type fish/hook/gaff in it - just can't kill it. Very stable boat as well. Won't scratch fiberglass.

Definitely worth a thought. But as Spaniard King pointed out - depends what you're using it for.

Motor - We have a (clapped out) 6hp 2stroke yammi on ours which is about to be upgraded to (probably) tohastu 9.8 shortly. Not going any higher becuse of weight increase. The yammi 6 (and tohatsu 9.8) is 26kg and is a little bit of a struggle to put on - harder at the end of a weekend away when you're buggered. I wouldn't want it any heavier. YAmmi 6 (clapped out) juuust get on the plain with me solo, but I suspect new 6hp would be fine. I'm going the 9.8 because it's the same weight and, well.. why not

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Hi Guys & Girls

Looking at buying an inflatable and outboard for my other boat (39 foot cruiser - twin screw and shaft drive) so I can moor/anchor and get to shore.

I have no experience with these so I'm all ears as to any recommendations. It would stay on the rear swim platform so housing it is not an issue. I was thinking around the 3 metre size but again open to any suggestions as to size and brand.

Also hp size of outboard? I was thinking 6hp so the missus could use it at times without having to get an RST - thoughts?

Thanks in advance
    have a look at the Highfield range of (alloyed floored) rigid inflatable boats, produced by parent company (Qld) Swift inflatables (upmarket Hypalon) as a more affordable option. If you are concerned about UV damage, fit a cover over the tubes like the charter boat dinghies do, they live in the sun all day every day.