Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly or canvass tarp for camping?

Poly or canvass tarp for camping?

Had a week camping at Moreton before Easter and copped a flogging in the storms, everything was soaked through so booked into the resort for the last two nights of our stay, was pretty funny as other camppers had the same idea and we knew they were pretty full so I got the missus to run to reception and we did end up getting the very last room, good to see her move a bit faster than normal, but I digress.

So looks like tarps are the go to help protect the camp site agianst the elements, what's the low down - a good quality poly or canvass tarp? I guess canvass would last longer but much heavier and harder to put up, we would only camp 4 times per year so good quality poly would seem to be the go but thought I would check with the expert campers on here before making a purchase.

Re: Poly or canvass tarp for camping?

No Tarp and at Easter - rookie error that one. I don't think I have ever had a trip at Easter without rain - generally plenty of it. Good quality poly is the go but you still need to look after them if you want them to last. Canvas would be too heavy and a PITA to pack up wet if required.

Yes indeed mate - cannot remember an Easter without rain. There is a crowd on e-bay that says their tarps are the goods so will get one of those - at least I learn fom my mistakes.

Just check the corner reinforcements. Either canvas or poly.

I setup the Taj Mahal most camping trips. It's a 9m x 6m silver poly tarp with stainless dee rings sewn in with webbing back to the poly. Apart from the corners the other important feature is the pole setups.

I've got enough poles to hit every eyelet on the perimeter. Then a spreader cross under the centre. This stops the flappy flappy and allows good tension. A centre pole is needed though to carry the spreaders for the long side.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

I also use split foam tubing to stop the tarp rubbing on the spreader.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No Tarp and at Easter - rookie error that one. I don't think I have ever had a trip at Easter without rain - generally plenty of it. Good quality poly is the go but you still need to look after them if you want them to last. Canvas would be too heavy and a PITA to pack up wet if required.
    Agree with this. Poly, aside from lighter is easier to clean and the tarp usually gets the bird droppings and bears the brunt of the storms. Much better option.

Appreciate the tips...

Quote Originally Posted by Rip it up View Post
    Then a spreader cross under the centre. This stops the flappy flappy and allows good tension. A centre pole is needed though to carry the spreaders for the long side.
    just struggling with this bit, if I google spreader bars for tarps I see adjustable poles with eyelets on each end, these wouldn't be required down the entire length of the tarp edge I take it? Or is it just a small X unit that goes in the middle of the centre beam?

An adjustable beam that runs down the middle. I think mine is 5 piece with the two ends telescoping inside each other for adjustment. they come in different lengths to suit different tarps. Tentworld, Down Under Camping or any good camping store should have them

Yep Scottie has it. I create a big X under the tarp using telescoping poles from the 4 edges meeting in the centre.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

OK Gotcha

just went to tentworld, friendly staff but the worst laid out shop I've ever been in...

Down under camping on Pickering st Enoggerra has a tarp set up in the store with spreader bar etc. They sell it as a complete kit or you can buy it bit by bit. We bought one there years ago and still kicking

Easter is worked on the full moon. Most rain is over the period of the full moon so a mate of mine said.
    Poly silver tarp IMO, as Rip It Up said, is the go.
    In my experience when a canvas material gets wet for days the water starts to break through.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Had a week camping at Moreton before Easter and copped a flogging in the storms, everything was soaked through so booked into the resort for the last two nights of our stay, was pretty funny as other camppers had the same idea and we knew they were pretty full so I got the missus to run to reception and we did end up getting the very last room, good to see her move a bit faster than normal, but I digress.

So looks like tarps are the go to help protect the camp site agianst the elements, what's the low down - a good quality poly or canvass tarp? I guess canvass would last longer but much heavier and harder to put up, we would only camp 4 times per year so good quality poly would seem to be the go but thought I would check with the expert campers on here before making a purchase.

I've been down that road with tarps before, poly or canvas are ok, but I will never buy one. Do you yourself a favour and invest in a series 5000 vinyl tarp, 6x6m silver/white, best for camping with quality stitched eyes, they aren't really that dear to buy. Poly and canvas will always lets heat in, making it hot resting under the tarp. Vinyl is the only way to go if your serious. Circus clowns are not stupid clowning around in their big vinyl tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Yes indeed mate - cannot remember an Easter without rain. There is a crowd on e-bay that says their tarps are the goods so will get one of those - at least I learn fom my mistakes.
    Be careful .... I bought one of these good quality (so they say) from a Victorian company (Ebay) . Price seemed good at around half the price. When set up you could see the variability in the coextrusion - some places you could see pin holes where the weave let in the light ( these are the places that will rip) . The so called reinforced eyes could hardly be called great ........ anyhow the tarp lasted just two trips .

Go onto Southern Tarpaulins website .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Plenty of people call me a clown so I guess I would be right at home under one of those!