Thread: Gold Coast Canals versus Raby Bay Canals

Gold Coast Canals versus Raby Bay Canals

Hi all,

Keen to take my boys for a fish this weekend - for usual mixed bag of bream, flathead etc on lures - vibes, plastics, surface poppers etc.

How does Raby fish versus the Gold Coast/Runaway Bay etc canals at the moment?

Any good launch spots appreciated.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Gold Coast Canals versus Raby Bay Canals

Hi Oz

Not sure how the canals compare but if you do Gold Coast this new ramp 28°01'40.15" S 153°25'38.40" E (GE) is good and as long as your talking mid week or early or late weekends its fine. Nice beach and you can cruise further up canal or down and do the Nerang river as well. Whiting on the sand in the river and nice large but smart bream where we are. Also mullet etc.

Which boat are you thinking of using?

PM if you are considering visiting.

Cheers
    Chimo

Hey Chimo - thanks for the tips. I can launch pretty much anywhere as I have 20kg yaks.

Cheers

When I was fuelling up at Runaway bay marina recently - I decided to let some whiting go that were alive in the live well - as we had only managed to catch a few and not worth making a mess.. As I returned them to the water - I was shocked to see a MASSIVE ? cod ? mangrove jack come up from under the end of the fuel dock and smash them, whole, alive :-(

YOu are not technically allowed to tie up to the fuel dock unless you are fuelling - but after hours (I think they shut at 5) - I cant see how motoring in quietly / paddling in on your yak in would worry anyone - so long as you don't tie up... Security are Nazi's in there.

Actually seeing this thing - I'm not sure I'd want to met it face to face if I was on a yak...

Quote Originally Posted by Braddles View Post
    Actually seeing this thing - I'm not sure I'd want to met it face to face if I was on a yak...
    Maybe not - but funny to watch all the same. There are more fish like this under pontoons and jetties on the coast than people realise. When I was teching, I did a bit of work for one of the charter companies that had boats at Marina Mirage. They would put down livies that were left over from offshore work on offshore gear from time to time at the back of the boat. Some of the fish they got out were beasts. The ones they didn't get out were bigger.

Apart from the travel, my vote would be for the the coast - more options and better scenery. The ornithology seems a bit better down there as well if the fishing is slow. More boat traffic though.

Those canals hold a lot of fish. Some really good fish.

Good luck.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

Thanks gents. I didn't get out at all...buggered my foot. So resting.

Cheers

Went for cruise in the t-pod today and saw a few kayak fishermen on the canals and the river but none had billylids along so guessed twernt you lot, hope the infirmaty heals quick!