Thread: 2 days fishing

2 days fishing

Mate and I just want to head away for couple days fishing.

We were thinkink Noosa river. Maroochy river, or Caloundra.

I only got a renegade 420 with a 50 hp and would like to go outside if a good day.

As this is unfamilar territory to us, where would be the best place to go and stay, cabin accom.

Which place has the easiest and least dangerous in going outside for a fish on close in reefs?

We wete thinking of this Wed and thurs if we can arrange it otherwise in a couple of weeks.

cheers
    greg

Re: 2 days fishing

Hi I would stay at cotton tree caravan park Maroochydore, great whiting fishing in the river and if calm tow the boat to Maloolabah ramp and go outside from there. You could always tackle the Maroochydore bar if game. Don't forget school holidays this week prices go up. Pete

I would say Mooloolaba, easier to get out if suitable conditions
    I came back from noosa today, still too much fresh around, and the noosa bar can be lumpy, went out last sunday and a barcrusher caught a breaker and smashed his bimini/rod holder, I took it easy and got out but that was the only day I went outside, I believe Monday was better but I got a scare watching the barcrusher in front of me, if I could have turned safely I think I wouldn't have gone out
    for better information re noosa bar ask "back in black" Greg

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    I would say Mooloolaba, easier to get out if suitable conditions
    I came back from noosa today, still too much fresh around, and the noosa bar can be lumpy, went out last sunday and a barcrusher caught a breaker and smashed his bimini/rod holder, I took it easy and got out but that was the only day I went outside, I believe Monday was better but I got a scare watching the barcrusher in front of me, if I could have turned safely I think I wouldn't have gone out
    for better information re noosa bar ask "back in black" Greg
    Even Monday was a bit hairy for some. I know of 2 boats that got hammered, heaps of water in their tubs & sustained some damage.

Tony

maroochy is pretty quiet....took a lot of work to get my bucket of prawns....a few nice big mullet around ...a few good size grunter ...the odd decent jew ....still too much fresh but with the new moon coming up it should go ok later in the week ...went out friday and sat night sharks were eating the live baits i started with 20 pound leader zzzzzzz tink ....40 pound zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tink .....60 pound zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tink ....filleted the rest of the mullet and went home lol

Go to the Gold Coast. Camp at the Northern End of Wavebreak Island for free. Fish the seaway, Broadwater and easy trip out through the seaway down to Mermaid reef to try for a mackerel or you might see some tuna busting up on the surface.

Thanks Jeremy.
    mate i go away in comfort. Cabins only.

Isnt there any good fishing grounds out from Caloundra? Wouldnt that be a good bar to cross?

There are good grounds out from Caloundra. There is reef around the NW Fairway beacon, Brays rock, and various patches of reef further out - 5 mile etc. Should be mackerel, tuna, sweetlip and snapper available at the moment. Caloundra bar changes regularly. It can vary from a piece of piss to bloody horrible. There is a good deep channel out to the NE tip of Bribie and then it shallows out. This Wed and Thurs if you go early you would be heading out on a rising/full tide which is usually OK, but coming back in you should expect to have to negotiate breaking waves to get back in.

I would not recommend it unless you have a suitable boat with plenty of power and freeboard and you are confident with bar crossings.

Blog Entries

Given the forecasted southern swell coming up I wouldnt be attempting to cross the Caloundra bar in the next few days / week. The passage has plenty of good spots for whiting and flattys if you are happy with that.

Good advice on the caloundra bar.
    A guy was telling me this morning that the Mooloolba bar was the easiest and safest to cross.
    Any advice on that?

cheers
    greg

Mate every bar on the coast can have its days where its an easy bar to cross, theres a few variables that need to be right for the bars to be nice and friendly......... Always suss out the bar yourself and decide on your boat and your own experience/ ability as some peoples opinion's may be very different. Theres guys that will cross bars when others will say its impossible..... Just take it as it comes when your there..... I cross a few bars from wooli down south to mooloolba and lots in-between quite regularly and they are all nasty on their day and have all be like lakes at times..... They change all the time with shifting sand and swells so just take 10mins before crossing to suss them out and you should be right. just my 2 cents.... Have a good few days fishing! Wooli has a some great fishing at the moment

Where is Wooli? Is there a bar there?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Where is Wooli? Is there a bar there?
    it's down in NSW. It's on a river, so I assume that there would be a bar too.

yeah its got a bar, small entrance but like em all on the right day its ok, or if theres sweet you can launch off the beach at minnie water its only a 10 min drive north and has a lagoon so no worries in swell......