Thread: Spooling a new reel solo, how to keep good tension on braid.

Spooling a new reel solo, how to keep good tension on braid.

Ok knowledgable people.

How can I pack a spool super tight with braid when spooling reel by yourself.

I just attempted to spool my new lethal LT100 with 500m of 50lb and only got 300m on I recon. Heaps left on the spool.

I did not use any backing and used the bucket of water technique to wind it on. I used a wet rag tied around the middle of the rod with a few knots to clamp the line for tension. Worked a little bit but no where near what was needing. Line on the reel feels "spongy" when pressed.

So any good ideas to get that tight wrap on the spool.

My only other ideas were to throw the new line packet out the back of a boat and troll it?

Or design a vice like spindle from some threaded rod and washers to create tension on the line packet. ( I can also use this as a axle in a cordless drill to return the 300m I've got on the reel now)

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Re: Spooling a new reel solo, how to keep good tension on braid.

All I did was screwdriver through the reel, then stick the non handle end into vice, push down on it as you Tighten the vice on the shAft. Harder you push = more tension.

When I spool solo, I just run my line through the first eyelet then back down the the line drum between my knees or toes and a screw driver. Seems to work once you get it right.

Ok boys. Challenge accepted. I will crank up the pressure and wind on solo.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

screw driver through the line spool, then pin against the floor with my feet, through all of the rod runners for extra drag

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-L...item3a92aaddcc

whack one of these in the vice to hold it and adjust the tension tight......use a soft rod to spool with....stiff rods give lose spots as they move about whilst cranking.
    Jack.

The way I prefer to spool up my spinning reels with braid is a bit of mucking around, but it works well.

I wind the braid onto the spinning reel straight from the spool and accepting that it will be packed a bit loosely, I overfill the spool. I then wind the braid back onto a spare TLD20, mounted on a trolling rod. I will then wind a small amount of mono onto the spinning reel as a base for the braid, place the trolling rod and TLD20 into a rear rod holder on the boat and then refill the spinning reel under tension supplied by the drag on the TLD20. The braid is packed down nice and tightly, and it pretty much fills the spinning reel spool perfectly each time.

cheers

Jeff

I have a spare over head just for this first wind to overhead then set drag to 3-5kg and put through all guides. Wind on to spin reel works perfect every time
    happy days ahead summer is coming

I use a screwdriver, a couple of large washers and a heavy spring. Assemble the spool with a washer either side and the spring on the shaft of the screwdriver, lock into a bench vice loading the spring to create the required tension and wind away to your hearts content

Plenty of good ideas. Thanks guys.

I'll see what I can dig up in the shed to create the tension.

Hard part is this reel is the biggest capacity I have. So I am trying to get the full amount off the spool in the first go.
    A big deck winch would be awesome.

I think I'll use the vice and washer friction method.

This was the end result.

10mm bolt with two large washers. Adjusted the nut force to get a nice even friction and added some lube to the washer contact point. It did melt the spool a little.

In the end you can't fit 500m onto the lethal 100. But it came close. Would need to count the colour changes but I couldn't care less when 500m costs $23.