Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Navara NP300

Re: New Navara NP300

Toyota have gone down the same road regarding a smaller but more powerful engine. This new Nissan is not a game changer, but I think it's better than lasts model, their will be no turbo lagg with the twin turbos, coil rear end great, just don't tow anything with it. To me it looks like it will break, time will tell.

There are a few comparisons on YouTube against the current crop. The Nav is a mixed bag, good rear ride quality but sagged like a wagon with 700kg on board, hard front suspension and slow steering rack made the ute feel half done.

Engine was 1st class as was the transmission.

The old BT-50 won that compare with better performance and the best load carrying ability. The new triton faired well and had the best value.

Nothing wrong with coil rear as proven by Land Rover...if its done right. If regularly towing heavier spring helper air bags or a more solid set of rear springs. All suspension except full air suspension like d3/4 is a compromise. I used a Navara (last model) to tow 3 tonns and it towed well. It was a manual. Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

For all those that have the NP300 Navaras, what do you think of them a few years down the track? I'm looking for a new 4x4 later this year, was sold on the Ranger, but the few niggling quality issues have me considering the Nav.

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    For all those that have the NP300 Navaras, what do you think of them a few years down the track? I'm looking for a new 4x4 later this year, was sold on the Ranger, but the few niggling quality issues have me considering the Nav.
    Just about to hit 3 years & I've passed 100,000 kms (STX)
    With the exception of putting a Pedders lift kit & airbags in the rear - the car has been faultless as a daily drive. 8.5lt / 100km
    It's a reasonably good tow vehicle - dragging around the 5m Seajay ( did quite a few big trips - 600km +) . .. 13lts / 100km

Recently I've bought a 6.15 Barcrusher & it's towing it pretty well including a run down from Brisbane to Sydney & another down to Batemans Bay with a tow up the Clyde Mountain ........ Loaded with camping gear it did feel it but no great concern ...... 14.5lts / 100km

If it has a negative ( but no different to any other in this genre) - it could do with a bigger fuel tank as the realistic range gets down to 350-370km when towing a decent load .

All up it's been a pretty good buy - oh , the Front rotors were replaced at 90,000kms but that was probably due to the 10 trips towing the long run down the Clyde Mountain .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Sounds like a good objective write up Nagg.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Sounds like a good objective write up Nagg.

Cheers

No point talking it up .......

as you can see by the economy figures - as soon as add some weight to the equation , that little 2.3 twin turbo needs to start working.

I have to say , it does hold it's gears pretty well for the most part & the motor / gearbox combination is pretty good .

would I buy another ........ depends what VW do with the Amarok - that 3lt v6 diesel is a cracker

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Chris, appreciate the feedback. To be honest, if money was no object I'd get a 200 series Landcruiser, no question. But at pretty much twice the price of a dual cab, that won't be happening. The options are fairly limited I feel. I'm not a fan of the current trend towards small displacement engines but don't really have much of a choice. The Ranger has the largest at 3.2, but seems to have a few reliability issues, mainly around the transmission but engine also. D max seem to be one of the most reliable but I think they miss out on some of the interior toys and gadgets. The Navara is probably at the top of my list at the moment but I haven't really looked at the VW. Might have to go check it out.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Is it the Ranga that comes with a fire extinguisher?

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    Thanks Chris, appreciate the feedback. To be honest, if money was no object I'd get a 200 series Landcruiser, no question. But at pretty much twice the price of a dual cab, that won't be happening. The options are fairly limited I feel. I'm not a fan of the current trend towards small displacement engines but don't really have much of a choice. The Ranger has the largest at 3.2, but seems to have a few reliability issues, mainly around the transmission but engine also. D max seem to be one of the most reliable but I think they miss out on some of the interior toys and gadgets. The Navara is probably at the top of my list at the moment but I haven't really looked at the VW. Might have to go check it out.

Cheers,
    Dave.
    I wouldn't be far behind you …… but $100K + is just too much atm - hence why I went the duel cab route

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO