Thread: Budget offshore spin gear setup.

Budget offshore spin gear setup.

Hey guys,

I've got a combination I want to run past the people that use big spin gear offshore. I "bottom bash" off Gladstone mostly. Chasing coral trout, lipper, red emperor and mixed species. With the occasional Spaniard troll. Also will use it inside the Harbour chasing the big Jewies we get. 15kg plus range.

I've been using a fin-nor biscayne FS70 mounted to a 7ft abu muscle tip 8kg rod for over a year now. Loaded with my favorite 50lb ebay braid. Now this combo cost only $150 and has muscled some big fish over the last 18 months. I've been very impressed with both reel and rod.
    But due to an accident the combo went swimming.

Now I am searching for a replacement. Due to indestructible nature of the fin nor reel I have found another one in the next range up that has received some good reviews.

This lethal LT-100 would be my preferred reel choice. And I can get it locally for $149.

Now the rod.

The old no nonsense muscle tip felt really well suited to the Biscayne FS70. And I am not a finesse freak when it comes to my gear. I just want a combo I can lay some hurt onto a fish and comfortable grind them back in when they get away from me.

So with that approach I am stuck between chasing another muscle tip in a 12 kg class or stepping up to a graphite rod.

I've been told good things about the penn spinfisher V rods at my local store. Having good Fuji guides and a stronger Fuji winch mount. They make it in a 7ft 12-20kg 1 piece Rod.

Both of these rods fall into my budget of $100 for the rod.

What do you tackle gurus think about this setup. Any preferences over another?
    The top budget is $250 Rod and reel.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Re: Budget offshore spin gear setup.

The Lethal 100 is one of the best value reels going around for the review it's got. You won't go wrong with that option IMO. It's a big reel though and is suited to 80lb and up. With that in mind I would spool it up with 80 or 100lb line and get a rod to suit.
    I'd avoid a 7 foot rod in that line class for bottom bouncing. Too much leverage against you. It will help turn a fishes head but the rest will be pain for you after a few fish. I'd try to target a rod around 6 foot so it can also be used to troll. Due to budget it sounds like something like and ugly stick or similar is the go unless the ones you mentioned come in heavier and shorter versions.

Have a look at the crystal power tip rods by Silstar. I've been using one for about 7 years with a Penn Spinfisher 850 and both the rod and reel have copped a hell of a lot of abuse.

http://www.########.com.au/crystal-p...s-3103798.html

I use a Fin-Nor Lethal 100 and its a great reel for the price but as Daintreeboy pointed out it is a BIG reel and needs 80lb to make it worth the effort. You need at least a 20kg rod and I would be looking towards a 37kg rating but not over 6'6" long. You might need to look at your budget a bit because its going to be hard to fit a good outfit inside the $300 mark. Silstar had a Crystal Blue jig stick rated to 30kg but I haven't seen one for a while. Ugly stick also have a bluewater jig rod but you are looking over the $170 mark
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I have four of those lethals, 2x100, 2x40
    no negative comments, love fin-nor gear now.

100 is a great reel, pulls in a lot of line each turn.
    Slightly big reel but never had a problem.
    I have 60lb braid on both.

You can get the reel slightly cheaper online through dinga, comes with braid special, not sure the quality of the braid.

What about the good ol' Ugly Stik?................Just considering the guide quality that's all.........Ugly's have a bit of a range where you can get decent guides on them.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

I got a Fin Nor OFS 9500 reel from T World at Camp Hill quite some time ago for just under $150, and I've seen them on Ebay for the same price from some retailers. The braid capacity is advertised at 470 yards of 65lb braid. I've loaded it up with 60lb braid. Max drag for the OFS 6500, 7500, 8500 and 9500 models is claimed to be 60lbs. I got these capacities from the booklet that came with the reel.

I also got an Ugly Stik Platinum 6 foot 15-37kg rod from Boating &C&F quite some time ago for about $80. Might use 'em one day. I reckon if I showed Tangles this set up, he'd start to dribble from the side of his mouth.

Very heavy reel.

Forgot to mention that I also got a Penn Spinfisher 6500 and a 9500 reel to go with the Fin Nor, although I haven't spooled them up yet. Might use 'em one day.

TOL

Thanks fellas.

All valuable input.

I'm about to walk into the local tackleworld store, and their prices pretty close to online. I like to look after the local blokes as they offer great service and great knowledge.

Hard to get a feel for a good Rod without picking one up and bolting on the reel. So I will do some testing instore. I know know that a shorter heavier Rod will be used and I'll be looking for the quality guides and reel seat.

chck out dinga.com.au

Club members get free shipping, i got my lethal 100 with a free rod for $129 delivered, spooled it with 80LB power pro

I understand the lure of online purchases. As I do more than my fair share online.

But this sale is going to my local boys. They deserve it. They are one of the last true local stores with good service and local knowledge.

And the money I could save is minimal in my eyes.

cant go past a penn live liner reel on an ugly stick gold or platinum ....spool up with 80 pound braid and your set

Funny you mention them astro. Just completed the deal with a lethal LT100 and a 6ft 15-37kg ugly stick platinum. I have a 500m spool of cheap ebay braid I will spoil on to start with. It's meant to be 0.33mm dia but I think it's a little thicker than that.

Reel should hold 480m of 0.40mm braid without backing. So I will see how much I can get on.

Got a finor 100 matched with a Samaki offshore jig rod. It is my outfit of choice now for Macs and jigging and bottom bouncing off cairns. The Finor is a a totally better reel then the Penn Ssm850. Better drag and better engineered . Highly recommend.

Thanks shooter. It was a close decision between the pen and the fin nor.
    What weight Rod did you match it up to? And braid size?