Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

Re: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

I just spent a few wasted hrs chasing up info on these bits of tech. If you want a pure vanilla motor, the alternatives to the big two are quite tempting on price. However, for these gadgets to be truly useful, you need the GPS option. And for this only the big two has it. AND only garmin or Lowrance are supported if you want to network. This means the only reason i dont have one is i cant afford it at the moment. If you think about the alternative, a drum winch, its not that expensive. In the interim, i will be buying a foam float for the anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I just spent a few wasted hrs chasing up info on these bits of tech. If you want a pure vanilla motor, the alternatives to the big two are quite tempting on price. However, for these gadgets to be truly useful, you need the GPS option. And for this only the big two has it. AND only garmin or Lowrance are supported if you want to network. This means the only reason i dont have one is i cant afford it at the moment. If you think about the alternative, a drum winch, its not that expensive. In the interim, i will be buying a foam float for the anchor.
    Yeah that worked for me too - infact I went for this before all this was invented - must be visionary "i will be buying a foam float for the anchor"
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Interestingly - I had spot lock since 2011 & used it a bit in the bass & barra dams mainly - creeks for barra & jacks …… but it really didn't sink in till I used it offshore for snapper fishing - (I normally anchor & cube) …….. it really was like the penny dropping. I've only anchored when seas were too rough & the prop would blow out (54" shaft) - or I ran out of power . I upgraded to a 60" shaft & have not used an anchor in 10 months & only 2 or 3 times in 18 months. ……….

IMHO - For offshore fishing , A good sounder is #1 closely followed by a spot lock capable Leccy . clearly it has been recognised by boat builders where the leccy plate is now standard .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Spot lock and more so autopilot can achieve things that an anchor is simply physically incapable of doing. Do I have them on my offshore boat - no due to them being expensive.
    To
    get the weight down like Chris has - ridiculously expensive and to actually install in an aesthetically appealing manner on an older design halfcab - extra ridiculously expensive so I haven't bothered. If my fishing was more structured around the use of artificials or I still had a centre console, I would have one in a heartbeat. They are an incredible fish catching tool but come at a cost for a bigger boat. I have one for my tinnie and wouldn't be without it - that's where I do most of my lure fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Spot lock and more so autopilot can achieve things that an anchor is simply physically incapable of doing. Do I have them on my offshore boat - no due to them being expensive.
    To
    get the weight down like Chris has - ridiculously expensive and to actually install in an aesthetically appealing manner on an older design halfcab - extra ridiculously expensive so I haven't bothered. If my fishing was more structured around the use of artificials or I still had a centre console, I would have one in a heartbeat. They are an incredible fish catching tool but come at a cost for a bigger boat. I have one for my tinnie and wouldn't be without it - that's where I do most of my lure fishing.
    Ditto......

It's definitely on my wish list - just will struggle to throw together $3k.

Have the batteries and have the boat but it would be a 80lb with a long leg

I only fish reef half the time but still wonder it's merits for deep-drop for instance

I did find it a nuisance travelling a long way to a wreck thinking worst case I will be in a line drifting it only to find a boat on top with electric then there is no chance - at least I can check these marks with radar now before wasting time and fuel
    Cheers

Trev

One of the biggest things the electric can do that an anchor can't is the controlled drift. By utilising the basic autopilot you can basically set your drift up in any direction you wish. How many days have you fished offshore with a ripping NE to SW drift over a north south reef line - basically getting only one quick drop before having to start your engine and motor back up - if your anything like me - plenty. I use this a lot when casting lures for bream in structure oriented spots - use autopilot (basic not GPS) to set your heading very slightly across current and vary the motor speed to hold station and the boat literally "drifts" slowly sideways across the face of the structure. The same can be done when drifting offshore to take wind out of the equation and drifting the boat directly along the reef rather than across it - assuming a favourable current. If you wanted too, you could even drive the reef recording a track and follow that. Additionally, on the no run- no fun days, the motor can create a drift which may just entice something to take a bait...………….Not typing anymore or it will cost me money.

I’d like to see the Yamaha helm master and Mercury skyhook joystick systems available across all the new outboards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    I’d like to see the Yamaha helm master and Mercury skyhook joystick systems available across all the new outboards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This sort of stuff is interesting but I wonder the consequences of wear and tear on gears and shift mechanisms if used for hours on end.

Another situation that I found myself in & the spot lock function was brilliant was fishing into a wash at places like Port Stephens , South West Rocks , Coffs Hbr & Evans Head - back in the bad old days you would either sit there with motor going or anchor …… which can be pretty scary . Spot locking worked really well - I was surprised once fishing Little Island (Port Stephens) earlier this year ….. the seas were pumping but found with the combination of backwash & spotlock I was able to have a nice session on tailor / kings & snapper - there was no way I would have anchored .
    Another situation is fishing a FAD & spotlocking ….. up current & drifting baits back for dollies / kings - Generally you can only drift these FADs because of depth & currents .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think the real pluses for an electric keeping you over the fish is time in hit zone plus time not spent driving back to hit zone and the latter comes with wear and tear on the motor as well.

A battery and little electric is a darn sight cheaper than motor plus services.

And as has been said the increase in catch rate is estimated as 3 times for some anglers
    Cheers

Trev

Was giving one of these some serious thought however I'm wondering if these Minn Kota's are still having unacceptable failure rates in the Ulterra models?

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    I think the real pluses for an electric keeping you over the fish is time in hit zone plus time not spent driving back to hit zone and the latter comes with wear and tear on the motor as well.

A battery and little electric is a darn sight cheaper than motor plus services.

And as has been said the increase in catch rate is estimated as 3 times for some anglers
    OK thanks TJ, so quick calculattion for me is 3 x 0 = 0, I might get one!