Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

Re: Minn Kota ULTERRA (Who wants one?)

Kc, hope you get yours back soon.
    I certainly agree they put heaps more fish in the boat.
    What model Cruise Craft is that? 625 Outsider?

I dint know why anyone is surprised eith problems of longevity. Minn kotas were hard enough to keep going on barra boats in calm water. Put them at the bow of a reef boat and run then two hours each way into chop and stuffs bound to happen. Theyre just noy that well made, and the constant pounding and salt spray at the biw of a boat is probably the toughest environment anywhere

Fair call. The big ones do come with a tie down strap arrangement which stops the "head wobble" to a large degree but proof will be in the pudding. So far I am inclined to say the Terranova in pretty bullet proof. The Ulterra is an amazing unit to use, when it works!! At the same time, these things are worth the trouble trying to get them right. Either bring out the bullet proof Terranova big enough to handle big boats or get the Ulterra right because, IMO, they are the single biggest advancement in fish catching technology since the GPS itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantren View Post
    ... What model Cruise Craft is that? 625 Outsider?
    Looks like it Dantren, otherwise possibly a 575. Def not an Outsider 685.

A mate has just put one on a 685 Exp, has only tried it in the Marina harbour though, not offshore.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Yep 625 Outsider

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    Here is mates boat . Cruisecraft with bow mounted 112 lb Terrova. Has cut and hinged bow rail to allow deploy/stow motor.
    Hey Kc, mate ive got a cruise craft 575 outsider and have been waiting on some info/pics of an electric and how they been set up. Can u please let me know if the 112lb terrova your mate has is a 60 inch shaft and if u could ask him how it performs in roughish water, would be absolutely appreciated.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Ausfish mobile app

My mates boat is a 625 cruisecraft outsider. 60 inch 112lb Terranova on a bow mount extension purpose build for this boat. I can get you some close up pics if you want. I have fished beside him in modest conditions and it works perfectly. My bow is quite a bit higher out of the water and I have a much deeper vee so the boats bow sinks into any oncoming waves very easily and then pitches higher as a result making the 60 inch shaft prone to bad cavitation. From what I have personally seen and advise I have had the 60 inch shaft is plenty for a cruisecraft. Also happy to report the dealer replaced the (new) mother board yesterday which was set for a 60, with another new one set for a 72 and it is all systems go. Weather this Saturday looks like a nice little window so the reddies should be nervous. Might throw up some pics next week if we "smash 'em".

Hillbilly email me direct kc@Whitsunday.net.au and I will send you a heap of pics. Too many to post here.

Kev

Will do kc thanks very much

Ausfish Platinum Member

My mate has a motor guide on his haines hunter. He says it is so reliable and the spot lock function is magnificent on it. So im really considering one of them.

Going through the same process now, the local motorguide dealer here has a dozen or so in for repairs/replacement as well. Have a few mates with the older versions and they swear by them though, think its a bit of a gamble either way you go. For me i think i'll be going the Ulterra for the autodeply as its going on the nose of a half cabin.

I've said this before somewhere, but the first decision to make with either MG or MK is what sort of sounder system you have. The ability to anchor lock directly from the MFD is an absolute game changer when offshore. So, if you run Lowrance buy MG, if you run Humminbird buy MK, if you run Garmin by either coz it won't interface directly anyway...Mat.

Definitely would have some advantages on the larger boats fishing deep water, I've been running Garmin for a while so i have the luxury/disadvantage depending on which way you look at it to have the choice of either.

One massive advantage of motorguide, other than its not a minn kota 😃, is they are sold by mercury dealers and have the same repair and parts network. If you have a fault, any mercury dealer can diagnose and order individual parts. Minn kota you have to return to place of purchase, which then freights to BLA in brisbane, which then repairs and freights back. Try going through that process several times and tell me if you dont taste balls. MG, just take it still bolted to boat to local mercury dealer, pick up later. Plus they're heaps better anyway.
    Nidrac Id be srnding the crew to the bow to deploy any day rather than gettin a minnkota. If they complain make them pull the anchor a few times from 50m in quick succession, or offer them a swim. Insubordination needs to be dealt with harshly.